Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Copying Triggers from One Db to another

Author  Topic 

amitranjan
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-23 : 02:45:32
Hi, I have a databse in sql 2008 in which i have triggers on Insert, Update and Delete. I am also having a replica of same db say backup where i need to copy all the triggers using scripts or any other method. I dont want to copy database.

Thanks
AMit

amit Ranjan

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-23 : 03:17:08
You can generate a script (in SSMS) of all the triggers you want to copy, and then run that script on the other machine.
Go to Top of Page

webfred
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

8781 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-23 : 03:21:38
http://mangalpardeshi.blogspot.com/2009/03/script-all-store-procedures-in-database.html
There you can also see a select to create all triggers in a database

No, you're never too old to Yak'n'Roll if you're too young to die.
Go to Top of Page

madhivanan
Premature Yak Congratulator

22864 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-23 : 03:46:58
Here is mine that scripts out to text file
http://beyondrelational.com/blogs/madhivanan/archive/2007/12/13/script-out-procedures-and-functions-part-2.aspx

Madhivanan

Failing to plan is Planning to fail
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-23 : 03:53:57
Personally I haven't found such a script that work. I don't know how SSMS does it, but all scripts I have seen (and sp_helptext) split overly long lines and truncate after the first page of SProc's script.
Go to Top of Page

madhivanan

22864 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-23 : 04:14:29
quote:
Originally posted by Kristen

Personally I haven't found such a script that work. I don't know how SSMS does it, but all scripts I have seen (and sp_helptext) split overly long lines and truncate after the first page of SProc's script.

I am not sure. But when I tried my script it scripted out the script to text file as you see when you query sp_helptext 'procedure name'

Madhivanan

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-23 : 04:50:12
sp_helptext (source) says:

/* NOTE: Length of @SyscomText is 4000 to replace the length of
** text column in syscomments.
** lengths on @Line, #CommentText Text column and
** value for @DefinedLength are all 255. These need to all have
** the same values. 255 was selected in order for the max length
** display using down level clients
*/

so I assume that is organised to work with Query Analyser etc. with column width set to 256 characters.

There's a fairly significant amount of code in that SProc, so I doubt the "Select * From syscomments" style solutions are going to be up to much!
Go to Top of Page

amitranjan
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-23 : 05:41:07
SELECT O.Name as ProcName
,M.Definition as CreateScript
,O.Create_Date
,O.Modify_Date
FROM sys.sql_modules as M INNER JOIN sys.triggers as O
ON M.object_id = O.object_id

@ All
I tried above script from mangal pardeshi and found it working with a small change. After modified above to this

SELECT M.Definition as CreateScript

this gave me all triggers of that database. Then i right clicked and exprted that as CSV file. Now opened it in Notepad++ or Sql Query Window and added

SET ANSI_NULLS ON
GO
SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
GO
SET ANSI_PADDING ON
GO

at the beginning of each triger and executed on the desired database. And it ran!!!..

amit Ranjan
Go to Top of Page

madhivanan

22864 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-23 : 05:44:37
Also try the Link I posted. It scripts out all the triggers to a text file seperated by GO
Try it and let us know the result

Madhivanan

Go to Top of Page

madhivanan

22864 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-23 : 05:50:55
quote:

sp_helptext (source) says:

/* NOTE: Length of @SyscomText is 4000 to replace the length of
** text column in syscomments.
** lengths on @Line, #CommentText Text column and
** value for @DefinedLength are all 255. These need to all have
** the same values. 255 was selected in order for the max length
** display using down level clients
*/

so I assume that is organised to work with Query Analyser etc. with column width set to 256 characters.

There's a fairly significant amount of code in that SProc, so I doubt the "Select * From syscomments" style solutions are going to be up to much!

I still dont understand your point. Are you saying that usage of sp_helptext is not reliable?

This is the code that script out the script of sp_helptext

Can you run this and see if all texts are exported?

create table scripts(sps varchar(8000))

declare @texts varchar(1000)

select @texts='sp_helptext '''+'sp_helptext'+''''
EXEC('insert into scripts(sps) EXEC '+ @texts)
insert into scripts(sps)
select 'GO'
EXEC master..xp_cmdshell 'bcp "select * from dworksweb..scripts" queryout "c:\scripts.txt" -c -T'
drop table scripts

Madhivanan

Go to Top of Page

webfred

8781 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-23 : 05:54:49
quote:
Originally posted by amitranjan

,O.Create_Date
,O.Modify_Date

@ All
I tried above script from mangal pardeshi and found it working with a small change. After modified above to this

this gave me all triggers of that database. Then i right clicked and exprted that as CSV file. Now opened it in Notepad++ or Sql Query Window and added

SET ANSI_NULLS ON
GO
SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
GO
SET ANSI_PADDING ON
GO

at the beginning of each triger and executed on the desired database. And it ran!!!..

amit Ranjan

Fine!

Go to Top of Page

amitranjan
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-23 : 05:56:03
quote:
Originally posted by webfred

quote:
Originally posted by amitranjan

,O.Create_Date
,O.Modify_Date

@ All

SET ANSI_NULLS ON
GO
SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
GO
SET ANSI_PADDING ON
GO

amit Ranjan

Fine!

Thanks you r a life saver...

amit Ranjan
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-23 : 05:56:58
"SELECT M.Definition as CreateScript
"

Like I said, I don't think these simple SELECTs work 100%.

This only selects the first 8,000 characters from the trigger. Maybe yours are smaller than that, maybe if I used BCP or somesuch I would work around that limit.

Much easier to just use SSMS, right click, generate script, ...

All the ANSI_NULLS, QUOTED_IDENTIFIER, ANSI_PADDING etc are correctly taken care off (you are assuming they should all be ON, that's not necessarily/universally the case) ... and maybe there are other things SSMS does which are potential pitfalls.

If you want to export your objects as a scheduled task (to put them in version-control-system, or some such reason, then fine. I just don't think it is worth it for a one-off.
Go to Top of Page

webfred

8781 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-23 : 06:00:05
A trigger with 8k chatacters would be the work of the devil

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-23 : 06:17:20
quote:
Originally posted by madhivanan
I still dont understand your point. Are you saying that usage of sp_helptext is not reliable?

If you have a line in your SProc with more than 256 characters sp_HelpText will insert line-breaks at 256 character positions(s)

quote:

Can you run this and see if all texts are exported?

I did try it in SQL 2008. I get:

output
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQLState = S1000, NativeError = 0
Error = [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0]Unable to open BCP host data-file
NULL

but I did SELECT * FROM SCRIPTS and the lines are split at 256 character position

Here's an example

CREATE PROCEDURE TEMP_LongLine
AS
BEGIN
-- NOTE: This needs to be all on one line!

--..!....1....!....2....!....3....!....4....!....5....!....6....!....7....!....8....!....9....!..100 ...!....1....!....2....!....3....!....4....!....5....!....6....!....7....!....8....!....9....!..200 ...!....1....!....2....!....3....!....4....!....5....XY....6....!....7....!....8....!....9....!..300

SELECT 1
END
GO
sp_helptext 'TEMP_LongLine'
GO
DROP PROCEDURE TEMP_LongLine
GO

gives me

Text
-----------------------------------------------------------
CREATE PROCEDURE TEMP_LongLine
AS
BEGIN
--..!....1....!....2....!....3....!....4....!....5... ...200....!....1....!....2....!....3....!....4....!....5....X
Y....6....!....7....!....8....!....9....!..300
SELECT 1
END

I've chopped out the middle of the line to keep this post reasonable width, but I'm sure you get the idea
(My Query Analyser is set to column-width of 8,000 chars)
Go to Top of Page

madhivanan

22864 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-23 : 07:35:08
I get your point now.
So do you think there is a change that a word can be splitted to next line that would cause syntax error?

Madhivanan

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-23 : 09:27:25
If it was in a quoted string that would probably change the behaviour of the application (but not upset SQL)

sp_HelpText goes to a lot of trouble to split the text at 256 character boundary ...

... and also to bolt-back-together the multiple (8,000 byte) text pages ...

sys.sql_modules uses object_definition(sys.sysschobjs.id) - which seems to only get the first 8,000 characters ...

sp_HelpText is interrogating sys.syscomments - which itself is a VIEW to bolt-back-together again all the (new) tables that have scripts in them.

Would make more sense (with VARCHAR(MAX) now available etc.) to go straight to the underlying table I reckon ...

Maybe there is a, newer, replacement SProc for sp_HelpText that gets the whole script?
Go to Top of Page

madhivanan

22864 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-23 : 10:18:04
quote:

If it was in a quoted string that would probably change the behaviour of the application (but not upset SQL)

sp_HelpText goes to a lot of trouble to split the text at 256 character boundary ...

... and also to bolt-back-together the multiple (8,000 byte) text pages ...

sys.sql_modules uses object_definition(sys.sysschobjs.id) - which seems to only get the first 8,000 characters ...

sp_HelpText is interrogating sys.syscomments - which itself is a VIEW to bolt-back-together again all the (new) tables that have scripts in them.

Would make more sense (with VARCHAR(MAX) now available etc.) to go straight to the underlying table I reckon ...

Maybe there is a, newer, replacement SProc for sp_HelpText that gets the whole script?

1 I dont think a single line of actual stored procedure may exceed 8000 characters in real life (One can write but very difficult to maintain and read)

2 When query on object_defnition (object_id('myproc')) it displays first 8000 characters. But when you bcp out it exports all characters

Madhivanan

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-23 : 10:47:03
I agree 8,000 characters per-line would be a reasonable limit - whereas I find I exceed 256 quite commonly.

However, the 8,000 characters (or whatever) line may have to "span" two object_defnition (object_id('myproc')) blocks - but if they are silently concatenated when you use BCP you are "good-to-go"!!
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -