Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Temp Diagnosis

Author  Topic 

pradeep_iete
Yak Posting Veteran

84 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-24 : 08:55:45
Hi,

I have Production database.
SIze : 125 GB
TempDB : 900 MB

Now i want to reduce Temp DB size.Is it worth Reducing it and what is safe way to have size reduction.

Thankx.

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-24 : 10:17:21
Did you check other posts? There are lots of posts recently regarding this.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-24 : 11:41:17
Restart SQL Server, that should cause it to shrink to its "initial size".

Do not attempt to Shrink TEMPDB - high risk of corrupting your databases unless you use the special, and complicated, mechanism (which is just not worth it assuming that restart does shrink it, as it is supposed to)
Go to Top of Page

pradeep_iete
Yak Posting Veteran

84 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-25 : 00:37:56
Is Restart is Safe bet?

Also is it worth Resetting intitial size other then default setting considereing the size that temp has already taken i.e 900GB ?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-02-25 : 02:08:16
"Is Restart is Safe bet?"

It is supposed to work. Doesn't always . But try that first. (Shrinking TEMPDB requires putting the server in single user mode ... that's going to require two restarts!)

"Also is it worth Resetting intitial size other then default setting considereing the size that temp has already taken i.e 900GB ?"

Definitely. However, I guess at this stage you don't know what is a reasonable size for your system ... if TEMPDB is 900MB (you didn't mean GB, right?!!) then maybe that was due to some exceptional process. If you set it back small, and watch the size over a couple of days you will get a feel for what is a reasonable initial size.

Having SQL Server pre-allocate a reasonable size is much better than a small size and then SQL has to keep extending it lots of time to get to "normal" size.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -