Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 Database diagrams not showing anything

Author  Topic 

Utpal
Posting Yak Master

179 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-20 : 05:35:23
Hi everybody,
I am not able to see anything in database diagrams of databases on opening them, including the sample Northwind database. Even after reinstalling SQL Server, the same problem persists. Please help me out.

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-20 : 05:48:06
The diagrams are not there by default.

You have to create a diagram and add tables to it, have you done that ?

Damian
Go to Top of Page

Utpal
Posting Yak Master

179 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-20 : 23:56:04
Yes, I have. It was showing fine before. After I reinstalled SQL Server this problem started. In the sample NorthWind database there is a diagram called "Relationships" which was showing perfectly earlier. Now when I double-click on the "Relationships" icon, a blank database diagram window opens up.

Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-21 : 00:07:02
Northwind is a sample database that is re-installed along with SQL Server. Unless you detached your earlier Northwind and re-attached it, the diagrams will naturally be cleared.

Go to Top of Page

Utpal
Posting Yak Master

179 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-22 : 00:12:03
A database diagram called "Relationships" is already there by default in the Northwind database. I didn't create it. I also tried creating a new database diagram on my database, but after saving and closing it and again reopening it, it shows blank.

Go to Top of Page

Utpal
Posting Yak Master

179 Posts

Posted - 2002-04-04 : 01:03:11
That problem is no more there after installing Windows 2000 Professional (after formatting C drive) and installing SQL Server. I had Windows 98 SE earlier.

Go to Top of Page

Andy Verity
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2002-04-04 : 03:20:36
quote:

Hi everybody,
I am not able to see anything in database diagrams of databases on opening them, including the sample Northwind database. Even after reinstalling SQL Server, the same problem persists. Please help me out.

I recently upsized a database with the relationships intact. However they were not listed within a diagram. I discovered that the diagrams could be set up for these relationships by using the diagram wizard. If you specify a table in this wizard it will pull in the tables which are linked to it by relationships. You can set to how many levels (upto about 99) this should pull in all of the tables which are related to each other in your database, under most situations.

Go to Top of Page

Utpal
Posting Yak Master

179 Posts

Posted - 2002-04-05 : 04:08:30
I my case, even after creating a new diagram, the diagram was not showing anything.

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -