Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2005)
 Source Control

Author  Topic 

arkiboys
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1433 Posts

Posted - 2010-03-10 : 04:36:30
Hello,
How do I add the existing stored procedures to a souorce control.
For example, can I have a solution or a project to have the all the SPs and so that I can check them out to work on and then check them back in, etc?...
Can this be done in sql server or do I have to create a visual studio solution...?
Thanks

haroon2k9
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

328 Posts

Posted - 2010-03-10 : 04:52:29
quote:
Originally posted by arkiboys

Hello,
How do I add the existing stored procedures to a souorce control.
For example, can I have a solution or a project to have the all the SPs and so that I can check them out to work on and then check them back in, etc?...
Can this be done in sql server or do I have to create a visual studio solution...?
Thanks

Please create a Database Solution Project for this in Visual Studio Env itself..
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-03-10 : 05:13:28
We use SVN / Tortoise (Open Source) at a folder level - thus include any files we like, not just what is within the Project scope.

No idea how this compares to using the built in project tools in Visual Studio, but we like the flexibility (and much prefer SVN to SourceSafe).
Go to Top of Page

arkiboys

1433 Posts

Posted - 2010-03-10 : 08:25:41
I have started using SVN for visual studio 2008 files.
Once I setup the sql scripts inside a folder in SVN, then if I open them via the sql server management studio, then does it get locked automatically?
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-03-10 : 08:54:42
Don't know the answer to that, but I use SVN without that lock-to-use approach (which is why I don't like Source Safe).

When you check-in SVN will tell you if there are collisions, and merge the changes etc.

Unless you have one file that you are all falling over each other trying to edit (in which case you've got a problem anyway!) the check-for-collisions-when-checkin should work OK for you (but SVN supports checkout-and-lock if not).

For example, I checkout the whole repository on my laptop, remain out of reach of the central repository for some time, and then check-in when I get back to the office.
Go to Top of Page

arkiboys

1433 Posts

Posted - 2010-03-11 : 07:04:23
Thank you
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-03-11 : 09:19:20
An earlier discussion, in case useful background info for you: