Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 Maximum Concurrent Users on SQL Server

Author  Topic 

cshah1
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

347 Posts

Posted - 2010-03-15 : 20:52:19
Can someone clarify?

@@MAX_CONNECTIONS returns 32767 that is the maximum number of user connection on an instance of SQL server.

Does that mean if a client application (assuming heavily used) can only have 32767 connection? How about a website that can have 1,00, 000 usres at a time?

Is there a limitation on number of concurrent users on SQL Server?

cshah1

347 Posts

Posted - 2010-03-15 : 20:54:21
I know .net application has connection pooling and your application should open connection late and close it as soon as possible still 32767 is a small number?

Just curious not expected someone on SQL server side to know Does IBM DB2 or ORALCE has some limitation on number of connection or concurrent users?

In my opinion SQL server can **NOT** have limitation on number of concurrent users, but there is a maximum capacity documentation that says 32767 connection

I know number of connections <> concurrent users still..?

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-03-16 : 11:26:40
Website only opens the connection for the duration of rendering the page ... that's a smaller number than the number of concurrent users
Go to Top of Page

cshah1

347 Posts

Posted - 2010-03-16 : 12:53:15
quote:
Originally posted by Kristen

Website only opens the connection for the duration of rendering the page ... that's a smaller number than the number of concurrent users

That's a good logical answer.

Here is the thing
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143432.aspx
says max user connection are 32767

and if you go your management studio, right click on your SQL instance
and under server connections it should be zero (unlimited)

In my opinon SQL can not have any limitations on connections or users

That would be bad in terms of scalibitliy

In old days MSDE had such connection limitations and as we all know MSDE is a history

Let me reiterate my questions?

a)
How many concurrent users can connect to SQL server?

b) How many maximum number simultaneous connections are allowed on an instance of SQL Server?

p.s.
I do not expect an answer based on a simple web search
Go to Top of Page

RobertKaucher
Posting Yak Master

169 Posts

Posted - 2010-03-16 : 13:21:12
According to Euan Garden, an Architect on the Visual Studion team:

"In theory MSDE supports the same number of connections as SQL Server – 32,767 HOWEVER, it’s almost certain the server would run out of memory (remember there is a memory limit) before allocating that many connections, and due to the governor they would not all be able to run at the same time. So how many can run? That’s much like asking how long a piece of string is, I have heard of badly behaved apps with one connection hitting the governor, I’ve also heard of 100 users connected. In reality it all depends on the app and how it uses the server, a good planning number for a well written app that gets in and out of the database quickly would be 10-15 connections, however mileage really does vary."

So, yes. There is a connection limit.
http://blogs.msdn.com/euanga/archive/2006/03/09/545576.aspx

Sorry, this is based on a simple web search. but I expect Euan to know what he is talking about.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2010-03-16 : 14:13:15
We have a system that has 3000 users connected at all time, but we are using a very high end server.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog

"Let's begin with the premise that everything you've done up until this point is wrong."
Go to Top of Page

thewebhosting
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 2010-03-21 : 00:53:34
Hi,

You can limit the number of connections but by default there is no limit for connections. However, it depends on your server configuration.

You can find the number of connections with SP_Who. and ID greater than 50 is a user. You might get more joy by creating a who's logged in table and just getting your apps to insert / update / delete a record when they start up.

Go to Top of Page

GURUNADHA7111
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2010-03-30 : 14:55:30
Very good conversations. good topic to discuss. i am also facing some performance issues. let us hope for the best suitable answer.

DBAGuru,India

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -