Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 MDF file size and growth

Author  Topic 

eddiefdz
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-06 : 21:24:17
I have a database which the MDF file is 357gigs in size. I know that the data does not take up that much because when i run a full backup, the backup is only about 220 gigs. I assume that means that the MDF file just has blank space in it.

What is the best way to recover that unused space on the disk and shrink down the MDF file to the adequate size?

Thanks!

Eddie Fernandez
IT Director
MTech

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-06 : 22:03:32
You can use DBCC SHRINKFILE, however this is not a good idea if you are going to need that space again in the near future. Do you expect your used portion of the MDF file to grow in the next few months or is your data stale? Shrinking is a bad idea for performance reasons because of the fragmentation it causes, plus when the file has to expand you take a big hit.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

eddiefdz
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-07 : 09:34:54
Well, the reason why i want to shrink the file is because it seems that every time i run maintenance on the database, such as index defragmentation, etc, it causes that empty space to continue growing. I normally run monthly maintenenace which causes that empty file space to grow about 20 gigs each time, well i don't want it to continue growing without me being able to shrink it. My database grows by about 1 gig or so a day. I don't mind leaving some empty space avaialbe, but 130 gigs of empty space is ridicoulous. Is there a way to shrink it directly through SQL? I know there is a shrink file option when you right click on the database, but is that the correct way to do it?

Eddie Fernandez
IT Director
MTech
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-07 : 10:40:12
If the next Maintenance Job will add the 130GB empty space back then do NOT shrink the file - that will cause fragmentation next time the file is re-extended which will adversely effect performance.

There are various ways around the ginormous amount of space that SQL can use for rebuilding indexes - using a de-fragmentation method, instead of index rebuild, for example.

Also only rebuilding indexes which are above a threshold level of fragmentation (rather than rebuilding everything).

If you are only doing it once a month then most/many indexes may be badly fragmented. Doing a more "lightweight" maintenance routine more frequently may help reduce the maximum working space that is required at any one time [compared to doing it infrequently] - but you will have to ditch the standard "index rebuild" methods to achieve this.
Go to Top of Page

eddiefdz
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-07 : 10:50:16
Well, the Maintenance job will not add the 130gb back in one shot, it will grow the empty space back little by little. It took over 1 years worth of maintenance to get the empty space up to the 130, so that's why i thought that shrinking it down would help. I don't mind if it grows little by little as long as its not taking up such a huge amount. I am assuming that if i shrink the file, the MDF file should come down to the about the size of the backup correct? The nighly full backup is at 220gigs, when i shrink the file, can i expect the MDF file to go down to about 220gigs in size?

Eddie Fernandez
IT Director
MTech
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-07 : 11:11:50
If the MDF file has grown in the last year (you say "My database grows by about 1 gig or so a day"), and you have not done any major purge / deletion, then it needs the slack space.

Maintenance won't use up the slack space little-by-little, but the normal nature of Index Rebuild is to copy the whole lot to a "fresh area", and if there isn't a suitable "fresh area" that may (I don't know for sure) cause it to extend the file - so that the index can be contiguous.

Index Defrag doesn't do the copy-thing, it just redistributes the entries so that the index pages are balanced, in-situ. Hence my suggestion that that may put less pressure on file size requirements.

If you don't need to reclaim the slack space for some other purpose on that disk I wouldn't bother - the first time it is needed again (e.g. for a one-time data operation) and the file is re-extended then fragmentation will occur, and every time you shrink and then the file regrows fragmentation will potentially get worse.

If you have done a large one-time purge of old data, or someone accidentally ran a task that caused huge expansion of the file, then a shrink back to "normal size" (i.e. bigger than "minimum size") would be in order, but I wouldn't do it otherwise - particularly on a file that large where performance is presumably important.

The only downsides of having an overly large file are:

1) Its consuming disk space that could be made available to something else. If you have enough disk space then this isn't important.

2) A restore-from-backup will pre-create a file of the original size. If you want to move the database to another, smaller, machine that could be an issue. (If so shrink it as part of the move-to-other-machine process, not as a "routine" maintenance task)

You can check how much free space is available, including per table/index, which may reveal fragmentation levels that need sorting out - e.g. if you have tables with NO clustered indexes which are not getting defraged by your current index rebuild routines
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -