Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2000)
 Need Suggestion Reg Isloation Level

Author  Topic 

rammohan
Posting Yak Master

212 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-08 : 03:09:10
Hi All,

based on requirement for my current project,we r developing sp's now. i need some suggestion's here.

most of scenarios we r developing two types of sp's,

1. contains only select command(but have more joins from many tables)

2. first select command will pull data,based on condition we will update a couple of rows values of same table.

in this scenario, in order to get rid of deadlock n contention problems in future i.e after production, what type of care should i have to taken?
please suggest me best transaction isolation level at this stage.(data volume is more high in these tables). my primary aim is to get rid of deadlock situation.

u r suggestions r more valuable for me.

thanks in advance,
rammohan

One can never consent to creep,when one feels an impulse to soar
RAMMOHAN

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-08 : 03:41:01
"u r suggestions r more valuable for me."

First suggestion: Please do not use "text-speak" on this forum

My recommendation would be that you upgrade to SQL2005 / SQL2008 and make use of READ_COMMITTED_SNAPSHOT. This is really a painless solution to the problem of reads blocking writes, and was the reason for many large SQL users to upgrade to SQL2005.

For (2) you need a Transaction Block - we do that ALWAYS in any stored procedure that does an UPDATE or DELETE - even if it is only a single statement. It ensures that if we add more Update/Delete statements that we don't forget to add the Transaction Block later, and it provides isolation if our Sproc is itself called from an outer Sproc that also does Updates/Deleted.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-08 : 03:42:36
P.S. SQL2005 will also provide you with the OUTPUT clause - which may enable you to re-use data from one action into another (as a single ATOMic statement) rather than having to rely on locking.
Go to Top of Page

rammohan
Posting Yak Master

212 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-08 : 04:47:38
hi kristen,

Thanks for u r reply.

More strictly, we have to use sqlserver 2000 only. in order to achieve this in this version, i am planning to use transaction block in evry sp we r going to written. in isolation wise, we r thinking to use " READ COMMITTED" for every transaction in sp irrespective of commands it is going to be used. is it will be good we go with above isolation level to get ride of the deadlocks? please suggest me

One can never consent to creep,when one feels an impulse to soar
RAMMOHAN

Go to Top of Page

AndrewMurphy
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2916 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-09 : 07:33:28
rammohan...."slow down" and read and "act on" the suggestion: "Please do not use "text-speak" on this forum"

"Thanks for u r reply"???

You've posted enough questions/replies here to understand the etiquette of the forum. Text-speak is for 12-16 year old kids or for gsm phone messages. adults use the full and proper form of words.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -