Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Replication (2008)
 Replication 2008 is failing

Author  Topic 

frank.svs
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

368 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-15 : 09:50:16
Hi,

I tried to confgure the replication sql 2008 between 2 systems (i.e 2 sql server instances on 2 different machines).

Machine-A is acting as both Distributor and Publisher
Machine-B is acting as subscriber.

After configuring everything and once i open the replication monitor, i found replication failed. Pl find below error.

Unable to start execution of step 2 (reason: Error authenticating proxy NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE, system error : Logon failure : unknown user name or bad password). The step failed.

and in Error details pane
It is showing The job failed. The Jon was invoked by user sa.

But i currently logged in as "sa" user. is that any problem???

Can anyone suggest me on this on how to fix this problem and why it happened so.

or do i need to use explicit domain accnt while specifying SQL Agent Security during the setup.

Thanks in Advance,

avijit_mca
Posting Yak Master

109 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-27 : 07:39:39
Yes u need domain ac or..pls check the sa user accessibility. or for testing first choose windows authentication mode.

Regards,
avijit
Go to Top of Page

frank.svs

368 Posts

Posted - 2010-05-15 : 22:55:58
Hi,

Hi,

I connected to ssms using "sa" and i configured transactional replication on my personal RDC machine. For SQL Agent and all other Agents, i have given the domain account and paswword while configured in GUI. Everything worked fine and replication is working. But, i want to replicate the same replication on DEV environment with only change of server names (same domain account).

What i tried was in ssms (SQL 2008) on the Replication folder and generated the script for Create and drop replication.
All i have done was replace the server names with new servers names. But while executing the scripts on targets /new servers it is throwing an error password cannot be Null, so, i updated the password for domain account by right clickin the replication and update password options. Then i tried to start the replication , by jobs where failing...

Inside the job history, the errors showing as follows

010-05-14 09:58:04.112 Login failed for user 'sa'.,00:13:05,0,0,,,,0

010-05-14 09:56:03.549 Login failed for user 'sa'.,00:11:04,0,0,,,,0

010-05-14 09:54:02.985 Login failed for user 'sa'.,00:09:04,0,0,,,,0

I Also, done the same exercise on my RDC machine (original one). i dropped the replication and execute the create repl script.
Again same password proble. Then i wnet into the script and i can find the password for for domain login account, the passwords are set to NULL!!!! Why so, while configuring we have supplied all the passwords and it was working fine but we generate the scripts all the passwords it is showing it as NULL!!!

I cannot keep on setting up the repl in GUI mode for all servers involved. Right, what i thought was configure in one env and and make it a generic script by replacing the server names.

What would be the workaround for this problem???? Did i missed out any??? How to overcome this problem ?

Thanks in Advance.
Go to Top of Page

frank.svs

368 Posts

Posted - 2010-05-15 : 23:01:50
Do we need to have the same "sa" password for both the machines while configuring the transactional replication ????
Go to Top of Page

frank.svs

368 Posts

Posted - 2010-05-17 : 03:20:23
When i execute the create replication which was earlier generated one, this was the error in ssms

Msg 21678, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_MSrepl_addpushsubscription_agent, Line 194
The parameter "@job_password" can be set to "NULL" only when "@job_login" is set to "NULL".
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -