Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Persistent error

Author  Topic 

edimen
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-20 : 18:08:17
Hello,

I have a question on the following error that keeps occuring after upgrading an unpatched install of SQL 2005 Std x64 to Service Pack 3:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: MSSQLSERVER
Event ID: 17890
Description:
A significant part of SQL server process memory has been paged out. This may result in a performance degradation. Duration: 1259 seconds. Working set (KB): 103280, committed (KB): 243284, memory utilization: 42%%.

It always first occurs on startup immediately following the event id 17166, "Attempting to initialize Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MS DTC). This is an informational message only. No user action is required." Then it randomly pops up every few minutes to a few hours, with the Duration secons reflecting how long it's been up.

Total physical memory is 48GB, SQL max allocated memory is set to 36GB. The memory amounts referenced in the error are way below available memory (48187828K), sqlservr.exe is using 104,204K , and the server has been completely idle. The OS is W2K3 Ent x64 R2 SP2.

Is this a critical issue or can this be ignored, has anybody experienced it? Installing CU7 did not get rid of this error.

I've tried researching it but could not find any definitive answers, most seems to apply to pre-SP3 issues.

Thanks!

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-20 : 18:09:54
Did you grant the "lock pages in memory" permission for the SQL Server service account? I'm pretty sure that we got that error on a test system until I remembered to grant that permission.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

edimen
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-22 : 15:37:32
Thanks, unfortunately that did not work...

After reading through all the troubleshooting steps that one's supposed to go through before granting the 'Lock pages in memory' right to the SQL service account (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;918483), I went ahead and assigned it anyway, as it seemed like most of the troubleshooting hotfixes were pretty old, and would have been included either in W2K3 SP2, or SQL updates. At least majority of the dll's and exe's referenced in each hotfix were older versions of what's installed on the server. Also, the server have not had any symptoms listed in these hotfixes (network errors, becoming unresponsive for few minutes, large files copy, etc.)

I restarted the SQL service first, and got the same error. Restarted the server, and still the same error, even seems to occur more frequently.

The KB does mention that only SQL 2005 Enterprise supports this, and this is a SQL 2005 Standard 64-bit SP3 CU7 running on W2K3 Enterprise R2 SP 64 bit OS. However, it does say that after CU4 that user right is supported on Standard Editions:

"Note For 64-bit editions of SQL Server, only SQL Server Enterprise Edition can use the Lock pages in memory user right. This is applicable for SQL Server 2005 [RTM, SP1, SP2, SP3] and for SQL Server 2008 [RTM and SP1]. SQL Server 2008 SP1 Cumulative Update 2 and SQL Server 2005 SP3 Cumulative Update 4 introduce support for SQL Server Standard editions to use the Lock pages in memory user right."

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -