Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 SQL Password recovery

Author  Topic 

TechDummy
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-22 : 09:53:16

The old Tech guy that sat up our SQL server is long gone. I have no idea what the password is that he used to set up the SQL server. How can I recover the password?

webfred
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

8781 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-22 : 10:05:26
Go to the box and then login to the computer as admin.
Then login to sql server using windows authentification.
Then you can change the password to what you need it to be.

No, you're never too old to Yak'n'Roll if you're too young to die.
Go to Top of Page

TechDummy
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-22 : 10:09:30
windows authentification??
Go to Top of Page

webfred

8781 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-22 : 10:41:12

Go to Top of Page

TechDummy
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-22 : 11:44:19
Im there, but cant find an option to change the sql password... any help?
Go to Top of Page

webfred

8781 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-22 : 11:57:43
see here for example but be sure that no other processes are using the "old" password because they cannot work unitl you change the password there too.

http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2007/12/29/sql-server-change-password-of-sa-login-using-management-studio/

Go to Top of Page

TechDummy
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-22 : 12:18:31
As I got into this I relized im trying to change the SQL password for our Time Matters data base. Any suggestions there?
Go to Top of Page

webfred

8781 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-22 : 12:27:13
Sorry bit I didn't get you.
I don't know the meaning of Time Matters data base.

Maybe another forum-mate can help?

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-23 : 03:53:20
Create a new Login (as System Admin) and use that to log in with (whilst logged in locally using Windows Authentication, as above)? Then the existing Login ID / Password doesn't need to be changed - and any existing processes that use wit won't get upset
Go to Top of Page

mwgainesjr
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-23 : 10:54:02
I am a Time Matters CIC. You might better be careful when changing passwords for Time Matters SQL users. If you're changing the password for sa you should be ok in reagards to the TM application. If you're changing lntmuser or tm#user then you might better stop where you are and get some help from a CIC or Techsupport because you will break the application. The control file for TM holds the TM user password and you and I can't access it. Only Tech support.
Go to Top of Page

webfred

8781 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-23 : 11:39:11
quote:
Originally posted by mwgainesjr

I am a Time Matters CIC. You might better be careful when changing passwords for Time Matters SQL users. If you're changing the password for sa you should be ok in reagards to the TM application. If you're changing lntmuser or tm#user then you might better stop where you are and get some help from a CIC or Techsupport because you will break the application. The control file for TM holds the TM user password and you and I can't access it. Only Tech support.

Thanks for the info.
So we better do it Kristens way

Go to Top of Page

TechDummy
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-26 : 10:16:42
quote:

LexisNexis/Time Matters wants $900 to tell us how to access it. Any way around that?
Go to Top of Page

webfred

8781 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-26 : 10:52:07
The way around is Kristens way, I think.

Go to Top of Page

mwgainesjr
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-26 : 10:59:40
In order to get tech support now you have to have an AMP. Why do you want to change the password of the time matters sql user? This user should only be used by the time matters program. What version and SR are you on?
Go to Top of Page

TechDummy
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-26 : 11:12:22
quote:

In order to get tech support now you have to have an AMP. Why do you want to change the password of the time matters sql user? This user should only be used by the time matters program. What version and SR are you on?

Our new Tech guys were making changes to our server when they SQL password for Time Matters had to be entered to continue. We don't really care to change the password, the problem is, we don't know the password. SR 2005? not sure of the version.
Go to Top of Page

mwgainesjr
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-26 : 11:23:49
What is the version of Time Matters? This is very important as the new version password is set by LexisNexis. The tech guys must have been reinstalling a component (Exchange sync, Blackberry etc) of TM in order for it to ask for the password. Lets take this offline if don't mind. You can email me at mwgainesjr@gmail.com

It'll be very hard to help with with this situation over a forum.
Go to Top of Page

Peter99
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

498 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-26 : 12:10:31
Hi

How to move maintenance plans from one server to other.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

webfred

8781 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-26 : 13:16:56
quote:
Originally posted by Peter99

Hi

How to move maintenance plans from one server to other.

Thanks

Answers go here please:
http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=143594

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -