Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 SQL Server 2005 is terminating

Author  Topic 

kkk514
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-30 : 10:00:45
Hi Experts,

Today, we were unable to connect to our SQL Server 2005 SP2. When checked the SQL logs, Dumps, and event logs. I found the following errors:
SQL Server is terminating because of fatal exception c0000005. This error may be caused by an unhandled Win32 or C++ exception, or by an access violation encountered during exception handling. Check the SQL error log for any related stack dumps or messages. This exception forces SQL Server to shutdown. To recover from this error, restart the server (unless SQLAgent is configured to auto restart).

Then, after cycling SQL Services, we were able to connect.
Any help is appreaciated.

Version:
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.4211.00 (X64) Jan 30 2009 13:38:52
Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation
Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 2)

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2010-04-30 : 12:30:37
That's actually SP3 (4035+). Access violations are typically SQL Server bugs. You should consider installing CU9 to get to the latest build as maybe the bug has been fixed. If that doesn't correct it, then you'll need to open a case with Microsoft to figure out what's going on.

By the way, the build that you are on has a critical security vulnerability in it. The minimum build everyone should be on for SQL 2005 is 4262.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

kkk514
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2010-05-01 : 02:35:58
Thank you Tara.

Also, I am able to see that AWE option is enabled on the instance. But, the Lock Pages in Memory is not enabled.
I am able to see following message in error log:
Address Windowing Extensions (AWE) requires the 'lock pages in memory' privilege which is not currently present in the access token of the process.

We have 64 GB RAM with Intel 2.93 GHz 16 proc server (64bit). Where the Min memory is set to 10 GB and Max to 60GB

Do we need to enable Lock Pages in Memory option. Any suggestions.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -