Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Fill Factor

Author  Topic 

daidaluus
Yak Posting Veteran

73 Posts

Posted - 2010-05-19 : 02:53:00
In an operational environment I have a SQLServer 2000 with a strange behaviour. The Fill Factor for all indexes in all databases is changed to 90% automatically. no matter it is primary key, unique constraint, clustered or non cllustered index. it happens to all kinds of indexes. I changed Fill Factor to 0 sever times but after some period of time it goes back to 90% for all indexes in all databases. the run_value and config_value of server are both 0.

name minimum maximum config_value run_value
---------------- ----------- ----------- ------------ -----------
fill factor (%) 0 100 0 0

can anybody tell me why it happens and how i can solve it?

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-05-19 : 11:18:47
Sounds like you are using the standard maintenance plan which has an option something like "Leave 10% free space on all indexes"
Go to Top of Page

daidaluus
Yak Posting Veteran

73 Posts

Posted - 2010-05-23 : 09:12:43
thank you for your reply. I checked your point but there are only backup plans. I dont know what to do. can anybody help me?
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-05-23 : 13:52:24
So you don't have any SQL Server Agent : Jobs called "Optimizations Job for FB Maintenance ..."? (although someone could have chagned the name of course)

And if you check the DATABASE MAINTENANCE PLANS (Right click : Properties) on the OPTIMIZATIONS tab the "Reorganise data and indexes pages is NOT selected?
Go to Top of Page

daidaluus
Yak Posting Veteran

73 Posts

Posted - 2010-05-24 : 04:30:13
Thank you Kristen. there was a maintenance plan rebuilding indexed with fill factor 90%. Strange is that nobody here has any knowledge of sql. I dont know how it was created. I hope maintenance plans arent created automatically in any way. Thank you again.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-05-24 : 05:20:07
" I hope maintenance plans arent created automatically in any way."

Definitely not (well, you have to use the Maintenance Plan Wizard to create them, so nothing installed "by default") - but that is unfortunate for some as we get questions here from people saying "I don't have a backup ...."
Go to Top of Page

tosscrosby
Aged Yak Warrior

676 Posts

Posted - 2010-05-26 : 14:22:32
quote:
Originally posted by daidaluus

Strange is that nobody here has any knowledge of sql.

How can a shop that runs MS SQL not have someone with at least a working knowledge of the product? Sounds like a consulting job is in the making....IMO

Terry

-- A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice. -- Bill Cosby
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -