Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Odd Transaction Log Backup Behavior

Author  Topic 

phouse
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2010-05-21 : 14:35:43
All:
I have a rather perplexing issue that I'm trying to understand. I have a production database that I run hourly transaction log backups against. Each day, the backups are of the same size for a number of hours and then on Sunday, at an irregular time, I get a very large transaction log backup.

So for example: the transaction log backups for each day would be like the following -
Monday: ... 570 KB, 570 KB, 570 KB, 570 KB, 596 KB, 596 KB, ... (etc)
Tuesday: ... 340 KB, 340 KB, 340 KB, ... (etc)
Sunday ... 572 KB, 572 KB, 572 KB, ... , 18 GB, 340 KB, ... (etc)

The spread of when the extremely large log back up occurs is large, spanning from occuring at 8 am until 6 pm. No maintenance plans other than transaction log backups occur until 3 am and they complete by 5 am.

The only pattern that I've been able to establish is that this only occurs on Sundays and only with this database server. This single database is connected to by a single intranet web-app. I've inquired with the vendor about this and their support says this is not behavior they've seen before and conjectured it was my server.

So, my ultimate question is two-fold: what could be causing this and is it something I have control over? Thanks.

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2010-05-21 : 14:37:49
Some large transaction is causing it if database maintenance isn't running during the times it happens.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

GilaMonster
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4507 Posts

Posted - 2010-05-21 : 14:44:44
Are you rebuilding indexes on sunday? Don't just check maint plans, check the jobs as well.

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

phouse
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2010-05-24 : 13:34:00
I found the error. One of the maintenance plans had an erroneous step attached to it that was causing the behavior. I found the step by looking deeper per Gail Shaw's advice. I deleted the step and Sunday passed without a massive transaction log being burped out. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-05-24 : 14:53:21
An erroneous step that caused an 18GB Tlog file - I'm curious to know what it was?

Are you sure it wasn't needed? sounds like it was the weekly housekeeping routine to me!
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -