Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Development Tools
 ASP.NET
 Permissions on Windows 7 different to XP?

Author  Topic 

HarryAgain
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2010-06-03 : 07:36:50
I have just upgraded from Win XP to Win 7.
The application that I am using is not ASP.NET, it is a windows forms app.

I am starting a windows form application that uses Link to SQL to talk to the database. The database and the application both sit on the same computer. The database and code work fine on XP.

I can add the database into the Database Explorer VS2010 Express and view the table data.

But when I try to connect to the database via c# code, I get the error;

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

In Management Studio I have added myself as a user but it made no difference.
The dbo was already there as a user.

To attempt to break the problem down
I created a new minimal database in SQL Server Management Studio on Win 7.
When I try to add this database into a new c# project, it says;
You don’t have permission to open this file.
Contact the file owner or administrator to obtain permission.

But my old mdf database from XP can be added into my c# projects.

I created a new c# app to talk to the old XP database but I still get the same error.

So I suspect the issue may be down to permissions that are somehow different on Win 7 but I can’t see any difference in the Management Studio permissions settings.

Looking for help

Thanks

- Advertisement -