Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Data Corruption Issues
 Point in time recovery

Author  Topic 

vijayasarathi
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2010-06-20 : 06:13:40
Point in time recovery

Problem: Whenever the database is corrupted due to any problem like hardware issue, or due to some heavy insertion of data in to the database which actually made some data corruption... and database went to suspect mode... of course we can make to emergency and copy the objects to another database in order to bring the data back in many cases. Think about the situation of data corruption and the databases are offline and no0t able to bring back ?

Solution:
Without backup , we cannot bring the data back..
1. First Check whether you have backup or not.
2. let say we have full backup and 4 sequesnce of log bakcup
3. Before restoring the database from the bakcup , we should make sure that the database is in full recovery mode (used for point in time recovery)
4. you should take tail backup for the corrupted database- which is used to take the data which are currently presents in the ldf file..
5. now we can start to restore the latest full backup with no recovery option
6. restore all the log backup by sequence with no recovery option
7. finally tail log backup have to restore -- this is last step which will bring all the data till the time the database corrupted.
8. Now we have uptodate data back.... :)

Vijayasarathi Dharmaraj

GilaMonster
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4507 Posts

Posted - 2010-06-20 : 06:50:14
Is there a question here?

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-06-20 : 07:19:27
"due to some heavy insertion of data in to the database which actually made some data corruption"

Something wrong with your system if that happens ... unless you were meaning that you were doing bulk import without transaction and it failed half way through, and to repeat the bulk import you want to restore-and-repeat
Go to Top of Page

vijayasarathi
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2010-06-20 : 10:48:34
quote:
Originally posted by GilaMonster

Is there a question here?

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP

Hi Gail..I just explained the point in time recovery operation.. This is from my experience...Hope this can help some DBA's

Vijayasarathi Dharmaraj
Go to Top of Page

GilaMonster
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4507 Posts

Posted - 2010-06-20 : 11:27:00
quote:
Originally posted by Kristen

"due to some heavy insertion of data in to the database which actually made some data corruption"

Something wrong with your system if that happens

Indeed. Heavy inserts (or any other form of usage for that matter) does not cause data corruption. Misbehaving IO subsystems cause data corruption.

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

sks198117
Starting Member

46 Posts

Posted - 2010-09-17 : 10:54:10
Agreed with Gail ...I have never found data corruption due to heavy or rapid data insert it might cause system goes busy but i don't think database would be corrupt..If i am not wrong.

Thanks

---Thanks---
Santosh
Go to Top of Page

vaddesuresh
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2010-11-15 : 01:36:22
you are correct Mr.gail
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -