Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Is it just me?

Author  Topic 

elwoos
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2052 Posts

Posted - 2010-06-29 : 07:03:48
Or have MS completely lost the plot?

I wanted to lookup something in MSDN. If I go there in IE 8 I get a plain page with a white background and all the links down the left hand side of the page - basically it's unusable, though the top link helpfully is entitled - upgrade your internet experience

If I go to exactly the same page in FF (v3.6.3 if anyone cares) I get the page I expect, and more importantly I can use it and I have scripts enabled too for the site.

Interestingly (or not) clearing cookies in IE made no difference whatsoever. Clearing the cache for the domain improved matters slightly, at least it made the page useable but the layout is a mess, only a CTRL+ F5 sorted it. Does Joe bloggs in the street know how to do this stuff?

-----------

Deja Moo - The feeling you've heard the same bull before.

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-01 : 03:07:39
I've switched to Chrome a looong time ago and until IE9 comes out I'm not switching back. Microsoft has actually said publicly that they're gonna support all the standards in IE9 so let's see how that goes...

- Lumbago

My blog (yes, I have a blog now! just not that much content yet)
-> www.thefirstsql.com
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-01 : 07:48:57
msdn has been borked for a few days. apparently they've fixed it now.

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-01 : 09:14:36
Steve et al, if for some reason you haven't used Chrome then give it a run. Its speed of rendering (alone) means it earns its keep.

Just being able to type Google searches into the address box would be a good second reason; there are others of course ...

And for web page development (probably not your bag) its very handy (alongside FirFox + FireBug combo) - in particular that the Console will display inappropriate HTML tag usage etc (which I don't think that FireBug will)
Go to Top of Page

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-01 : 09:26:57
I'm also a big fan of Chrome. Installed it one day when I was bored and haven't looked back.

=================================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today. One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-01 : 10:54:34
Other thing I find amazing. I open hundred of tabs. I start reading something, get pulled to another task, want to come back later (sometime/never of course). plus I have loads of clients' site's tabs open to check this / check that / come back later.

IE was abysmal (performance and memory use), when Firefox came out that was way better, but still sluggish when I had lots open and it would crash when I gave it too much. But Chrome enables me to open far more TABs before it gets into trouble - I probably only restart Chrome (or reboot if it gets that bad!) about once a fortnight; FireFox was more like every-other-day.

I reckon the brief to the Google DEVs was to cut away the fat and carefully optimise, which just goes to show what can be done with the good old fashion best-practice. Instead of "call these 15 DLLs, that will enable you to get that job finished quickly"

Oh ...and I do like the feature to drag this TEXTAREA larger in Chrome so I can see more than 6 lines of my reply (Maybe FireFox has that now too??)
Go to Top of Page

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-02 : 02:58:19
I think the reason why chrome needs fewer restarts is because each tab has it's own separate process. Just open task manager and you'll see a bunch of chrome.exe-tasks...

- Lumbago

My blog (yes, I have a blog now! just not that much content yet)
-> www.thefirstsql.com
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-02 : 09:56:03
Big Fan of Chrome..stopped using IE because I believe it allowed all kinds of crap to infect my T60

Brett

8-)

Hint: Want your questions answered fast? Follow the direction in this link
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/brettk/archive/2005/05/25/5276.aspx

Add yourself!
http://www.frappr.com/sqlteam

Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-02 : 09:56:43
I Like [CTRL]+T

Brett

8-)

Hint: Want your questions answered fast? Follow the direction in this link
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/brettk/archive/2005/05/25/5276.aspx

Add yourself!
http://www.frappr.com/sqlteam

Go to Top of Page

elwoos

2052 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-02 : 10:53:46
I'm a massive fan of Chrome, even have the linux version at home (wubi is fun) but sadly it kills my machine at work as it occasionally freezes and then refuses to start again until I reboot which is a long and painful process.

IE is our standard here (just don't ask which version - you won't believe the answer

-----------

Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-02 : 11:09:19
Pah! Managers! [CTRL]+[SHIFT]+I here

bulldog.sqlteam.com\a.aspx has just held up page rendering for 3.42 seconds apparently
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-02 : 11:18:25
quote:
IE is our standard here (just don't ask which version - you won't believe the answer
4.0?
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

2052 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-08 : 07:09:01
quote:
Originally posted by robvolk

quote:
4.0?

That's scarily close

-----------

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -