Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 On Update Cascade. Should I use it?

Author  Topic 

shapper
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

450 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-13 : 08:48:10
Hello,

When should I cascade on update or on delete?

On delete I am cascading all relationships not including the ones with Lookup tables.

But should I use it on Update?

Thanks,
Miguel

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-13 : 09:13:32
I don't use CASCADE on either.

For DELETE our Sproc pre-deletes any "Child" records where the business rules allow. For example, deleting a Product record may allow deletion of the associated Stock Record [perhaps only if Stock level = 0] and any records about how often the product was viewed [i.e. statistical data only] etc. But the business rules do not allow deleting an Order Item that references that Product.

So my Stored Procedure would Begin a Transaction, delete the Stock and ProductViews records, then the Product record - which would fail if Order Items existed.

The User would then have to manually delete the order items (if that was a sensible thing to do! e.g. only Test Orders exist) in order to THEN be able to delete the Product Record.

I wouldn't want to let Cascade Delete just do that "out of sight our of mind"!

Trying to update related Foreign Key records is tricky, so Cascade can be useful on Update, but quite a few of our Foreign Keys are sufficiently complex that SQL doesn't allow CASCADE UPDATE anyway
Go to Top of Page

Devart
Posting Yak Master

102 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-13 : 09:17:54
Kristen is true. I don't use cascade update/delete too.

Devart Team
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-13 : 16:27:08
NEVER NEVER NEVER use cascade
Go to Top of Page

OCD Dan
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2011-07-31 : 16:22:38
why never use cascade, can someone explain please?
Go to Top of Page

GilaMonster
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4507 Posts

Posted - 2011-07-31 : 16:40:35
Unexpected deletes, inexplicable missing data.

I had someone once who had a nice database design, hierarchy of tables, everything eventually referred to one of two rows in a master table. He accidentally deleted of of those master rows. 3/4 of the database gone.

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -