Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 can i find which administrators have been in db?

Author  Topic 

mondo3
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-14 : 16:10:03
Is it possible to track which users have been looking at table data? (even if they are db administrators). sorry if this is a noobie type question

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-14 : 16:21:53
The only way to be sure is to have a trace running that captures SQL Statement events. You'll need to filter it for certain tables, or grab everything and analyze the results later. Be sure to include the login, host name, start and end times, and any other columns you think you need.
Go to Top of Page

mondo3
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-14 : 18:23:46
Thanks...I've never used the trace feature before. In setting up the trace, I entered a number of specific usernames in the like option field for ntusername. However, I find that the results also show blank ntusernames. Is there some change I can make to avoid this? I also notice that the databasename column is blank. Why would the names not show? I would like to filter the results on a specific database, but as this column is blank...
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-14 : 19:47:27
The best thing I can suggest is to read up on tracing in Books Online. Some events do not capture data in certain columns, and it's possible to add filters that exclude more than you want. I'd also recommend that you run a test trace on a different server that you completely control (like your desktop) so you can watch the events get traced and understand how Profiler works.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -