Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 Bit data type

Author  Topic 

Reji
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-19 : 10:30:47
Hi,

I have one bit data type column in SQL Server 2008, I want to retrieve that value always 0 even if it containing NULL. can any one know like setting that we can do in db.

Thanks in Advance.
Reji

jimf
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2875 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-19 : 10:32:51
SELECT ISNULL(bitColumn,0)

Jim

Everyday I learn something that somebody else already knew
Go to Top of Page

Sachin.Nand

2937 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-19 : 12:43:01
quote:
Originally posted by Reji

Hi,

I have one bit data type column in SQL Server 2008, I want to retrieve that value always 0 even if it containing NULL. can any one know like setting that we can do in db.

Thanks in Advance.
Reji

0 as your columname
ex
0 as 'bit'

Limitations live only in our minds. But if we use our imaginations, our possibilities become limitless.

PBUH
Go to Top of Page

Reji
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-22 : 00:42:19
Thanks. My requirement is something diferent. I will describe the scenario. Due to one middle driver issue, earlier version of the driver was retrieved 0 in bit column even if value is NULL. But now updated driver rturning NULL for NULL. I want to supress this behaviore(Because UI code already done with respect to this behaviore). In left outer join also I want 0 value for NULL. I am not ready to change the UI code or procedure.
Thanks,
PRR
Go to Top of Page

Sachin.Nand

2937 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-22 : 02:01:44
But in your previous post you stated that you wanted to display always 0 no matter what the values is.

Limitations live only in our minds. But if we use our imaginations, our possibilities become limitless.

PBUH
Go to Top of Page

Lamprey
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4614 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-22 : 14:48:06
quote:
Originally posted by Reji

Thanks. My requirement is something diferent. I will describe the scenario. Due to one middle driver issue, earlier version of the driver was retrieved 0 in bit column even if value is NULL. But now updated driver rturning NULL for NULL. I want to supress this behaviore(Because UI code already done with respect to this behaviore). In left outer join also I want 0 value for NULL. I am not ready to change the UI code or procedure.
Thanks,
PRR

See Jims post from 07/19/2010 : 10:32:51 and use the ISNULL function or, if you want to be ANSI/ISO compiant, use the COALESCE function.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -