Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 How to restrict user's access to some DBs?

Author  Topic 

Fateme
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-19 : 20:20:44
Hi everyone,
I have a user and I want to restrict his access to some DBs, but he is member of a domain that all members of this domain has access to most of DBs.
He have to be member of this domain and he connects to windows via this domain.
I would like to know is there any way to restrict his access wheras he is member of domain as well?
Please let me know if there is any solution.

Best regards,
Fateme

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-19 : 22:30:58
Check out REVOKE and DENY in BOL.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

Bea
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-21 : 09:53:07
Hello

Your User may be a member of a group but as an individual user he can be denied access to databases. A denial of permission takes precedence.

Open Management Studio and go to the database you want your User to be denied access. Go the the security folder, right click on the Users name, click on properties and here you can tick in the boxes the permission for the user.

Hope this helps
Bea
Go to Top of Page

Fateme
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-21 : 23:29:45
Hi Bea,
Thanks for your reply and thanks to you tkizer.
when I open the users folder under security,that is under DB's name, I cannot see the name of user(for example 'Alex', Alex is the user that I want to restrict his permission), but I can see the name of group here and this group name has access to some Dbs and the 'Alex' is member of that group. I cannot change permission for group because there are a lot of people who are member of that and this will be effect on their access.

Please let me know if I have any mistake or misunderstanding.

Thanks,
Fateme
Go to Top of Page

Fateme
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-22 : 09:03:07
Hi everyone,
I would like to tell you, I succeed to solve my issue with Deny as Tara mentioned.
Thanks again Tara.

Regards,
Fateme
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -