Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 removed fields on view and procedures

Author  Topic 

k_cire0426
Yak Posting Veteran

63 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-22 : 10:24:53
Hi everyone I am now facing a problem which I don't know specifically what feature of SQL will i use. We have removed some fields on our tables. We update our existing views and procedures for that changes but the problem is we have a client still using that field on their own query or views or procedures. I want to update their views or query to removed the fields that we removed. Is there a way to do that? Replace function is not advisable because of the different kinds of querying like using function on a field.

Here's an example.
before:
Select field1,isnull(field2,0) from table group by field1,field2

after:
Select field1 from table group by field1

parody
Posting Yak Master

111 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-22 : 11:17:32
why is it not possible to remove them in the same way you did yours?
Go to Top of Page

k_cire0426
Yak Posting Veteran

63 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-22 : 11:34:01
first we don't know exactly what is the name of their view or script and there are lots of database to fix. :( i want to do it programatically.
Go to Top of Page

yosiasz
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1635 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-22 : 11:36:19
I would put back the field and leave it defaulting to blank or NULL. only one change and all works instead of one chane and a lot of stuff does not work. it is not worth the level of effort involved. would it hurt to have that field back in there again? it will just be like a wart

If you don't have the passion to help people, you have no passion
Go to Top of Page

parody
Posting Yak Master

111 Posts

Posted - 2010-07-22 : 11:39:07
assuming the client only hits your views, add a dummy column back in the view so their code still runs. Who knwos what their outputs look like afterwards though!
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -