Please start any new threads on our new site at http://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

Our new SQL Server Forums are live! Come on over! We've restricted the ability to create new threads on these forums.

SQL Server Forums
Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Article Discussion
 Article: Send E-Mail Without Using SQL Mail in SQL Server
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2002 :  16:45:32  Show Profile  Visit AskSQLTeam's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SQL Mail provides an easy way to send and read e-mail from SQL Server. However, because SQL Mail is a Messaging Application Programming Interface (MAPI) application, a MAPI subsystem must be present on the server. Microsoft Windows 2000 does not provide a MAPI subsystem (Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 installs a MAPI subsystem when you install Windows Messaging). Therefore, in order to use SQL Mail, you must install a MAPI client such as Microsoft Outlook.

You can use other methods to send Simple Mail Transport Protocol (SMTP) e-mail directly from SQL Server such as Collaboration Data Objects for NT Server (CDONTS) or Collaboration Data Objects for Windows 2000 (CDOSYS) in combination with the sp_OA SQL Server OLE Automation stored procedures. This article provides an example of how to use the preceding techniques to send e-mail to an Internet mail server. You can further develop the technique to provide a more robust mailing system. For example, you may want to add error handling code. The methods in the sample do not provide a means for reading or processing e-mail.

Article Link.

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

Australia
4970 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2002 :  19:23:00  Show Profile  Visit Merkin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dammit, Microsoft have been reading my articles

Damian
Go to Top of Page

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

USA
4149 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2002 :  22:31:05  Show Profile  Visit graz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I noticed that :) I was hoping they would use some of the same code and we could bust 'em for it!

===============================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today.
One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

SamC
White Water Yakist

USA
3467 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2002 :  22:36:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still looking for an optimal way to send 50,000 emails. I wonder if SQL would choke if there were 50,000 emails in the queue table when I invoked this procedure?

I have no idea how smart SQL server is, perhaps it would spin this off in background and it wouldn't affect other real-time querys?

Or am I kidding myself.

I'd really appreciate some feedback. It's a mess to run empirical tests on 50,000 emails.

Any thoughts?

SamC

Go to Top of Page

SamC
White Water Yakist

USA
3467 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2002 :  23:01:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I can't find any documentation on any return value properties of

EXEC @hr = sp_OAMethod @MailID, 'Send', NULL

Anyone know a property that returns a documented code?

SamC

Go to Top of Page

sschwarze
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2002 :  21:34:08  Show Profile  Visit sschwarze's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I am new to this forum. Was wondering what kind of code you use for sending conduit mail. I have been using one from sywnk. I have send 5,700 emails at once with it. Sql server seemed to handle it fine but the incoming mail server I sent them to did not fair so good!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000