Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 Master Upgrade Script

Author  Topic 

imrul
Starting Member

36 Posts

Posted - 2010-08-19 : 01:02:08
Hello all,
I have a distributed system which run almost 40 different locations and not have any network connection between them. Time to time I have to update the database tables, SP etc. according to the business need. Sometimes databases are not 100% same in all the location. How can I have a master upgrade script which when I run in a system will be updated to the most current version ?

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-08-19 : 04:11:37
If it was me I would make the databases the same as a first step.

Although its OK to have Version 1, Version 1.1, Version 1.2 etc. and then release Version 2.0

I would have the APP be able to "get" an XML file of all the updates to be applied, and use that to update the database.

A change script for all table / column DDL to modify the structure, and any SQL statements to modify data (such as set default values etc.)

I would have a table with the current Version Number, and another for a history of version changes that were run, and when.

The XML file could also "carry" new executables for the application and so no.

It would be easier if the computer could get its upgrades from a central source (i.e. across a network), but if that it not possible then you'll have to distribute them some other way - CDs if the target machines have CD/DVD drives
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -