Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 0x80040E4D - while trying to find a folder on SQL

Author  Topic 

R
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

328 Posts

Posted - 2010-08-26 : 09:29:07
I am using the Copy Database Wizard in SQL2008 x64 (on development/destination machine) to copy a SQL2005 database from a live server (running SS2005 x86). I can connect okay to the live server, select the database and options, but when I start the copy process, SQL2008 throws the following error on the 'Create package' step:

quote:
While trying to find a folder on SQL an OLE DB error was encountered with error code 0x80040E4D (Login failed for user 'sa'.). (Copy Database Wizard)
Program Location:
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime.Application.FolderExistsOnSqlServer(String strFolderName, String strServerName, String strServerUserName, String strServerPassword)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.CopyDatabaseWizard.PackageCreator.EnsurePackageFolderExist(String folderName, Application app, String serverName, String loginName, String password)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.CopyDatabaseWizard.PackageCreator.SavePackage()
While trying to find a folder on SQL an OLE DB error was encountered with error code 0x80040E4D (Login failed for user 'sa'.).

Previously I had SS2005 on my development machine, and the copy wizard worked perfectly. The wizard also works on my second development machine (which still runs SS2005 x86).

Here are the workarounds that I've tried so far, and the outcome of each:

• Run SS2008 as an Administrator user (same error)

• Checked firewall is open on ports 1433 and 1434 (same error)

• Logged into SQL2008 (destination machine) as SA (Create package succeeds, but then after a long pause a new error is thrown in the Execute SQL Server Agent Job step:
    quote:
    The job failed. Check the event log on the destination server for details.

The event log shows:
    quote:
    Login failed for user 'sa'. Reason: Password did not match that for the login provided. [CLIENT: <local machine>]

• Created a new Windows Administrator user, then re-installed SS2008 to only use that account (same error)

• Create a proxy account within SS2008 and used that instead of SQL Server Agent (same error)

• Used Backup/Restore via T-SQL. This works, but introduces a security risk getting the backup file onto my destination machine, so would rather not use it if possible.

The live database needs to be online so I can't detach/attach.

I have now spent far too many days searching for an answer so if anyone can help solve it I'll get some beer posted to your address...

mariusz
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2010-09-05 : 19:24:02
You have to set mixed-mode on two SQL instances. Then use for ex. sa account to authorize to source and destination servers (passwords can be diferent for each account).
1. In MSSMS run Copy Database Wizard.
2. On Select a Source Server type server name or IP address and select Use SQL Server Authentication. Type Username and password.
3. On Select a Destination Server type server name or IP address and select Use SQL Server Authentication. Type Username and password.
4. Choose transer method...
5. Select database to move or copy...
6. Type destination database name and files location.
7. Provide package name (do nothing...).
8. Schedule the package or choose run immediately.
9. Click Finish.

Report example:
Performing operation
- Add log for package (Success)
- Add task for transferring database objects (Success)
- Create package (Success)
- Schedule package (Success)

Go to Top of Page

R
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

328 Posts

Posted - 2010-09-06 : 10:28:10
I tried this, and the Create Package step succeeds, but the operation then hangs on Execute SQL Server Agent Job. The status field says Executing and sits there for ages, then eventually I get an error that just says:

The job failed. Check the event log on the destination server for details.

If I open the event log from SSMS I get this error:

errorCode=-1073548784
description=
Executing the query "sys.sp_addrolemember @rolename = N'LearnerRole'..."
failed with the following error: "The role 'LearnerRole' does not exist in the current
database.". Possible failure reasons: Problems with the query "ResultSet" property not
set correctly parameters not set correctly or connection not established correctly.
helpFile= helpContext=0 idofInterfaceWithError={C81DFC5A-3B22-4DA3-BD3B-10BF861A7F9C}
StackTrace:
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Dts.DtsTransferProvider.ExecuteTransfer()
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Transfer.TransferData()
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Tasks.TransferObjectsTask.TransferObjectsTask.TransferDatabasesUsingSMOTransfer()
Operator: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Source Name: CDW_108159-APP1_DELL1530_4
Source ID: {854A153F-9903-4541-A1BA-29F334EFCF3C}
Execution ID: {665C6225-466C-4FAD-AC75-09D656F19CCD}
Go to Top of Page

happysql
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2012-05-31 : 08:01:01
Please visit www.happysql.com . Login failed for user 'sa'. Reason: Password did not match that for the login provided. My servers were 32 and 64 bits I purchased happysql software from happysql.com because this Software to create IP security Policy automatically and Block IP attack over SQL server for 24 x 7. Safety from SQL Hackers and Your answer to Hacking Attempts. The program is designed to loop through the event log and locate IP’s that attempt to hack your SQL database. It gives guaranteed water tight security for blocked IP. Once the IP is put on the list, you should not be seeing any additional attacks from that IP since the IPSec policy handles connections at the lowest level.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -