Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Advantages & Disadvantages of using MDX

Author  Topic 

Beginer
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2010-09-05 : 10:14:27
Hi I'm new in SQL server.I have basic understanding of sql queries.
For one of my work I need to use MDX (Client Requirement).Before start learning MDX, I want to know what is the advanges & disadvantages of MDX? "It handles multi dimensional data base"-Is it the only one advantege of using MDX or there are others also?

Please provide me the advantages & disadvantages of MDX.

Thanks in advance

slimt_slimt
Aged Yak Warrior

746 Posts

Posted - 2010-09-05 : 10:34:10
MDX is Query language for olap and it is MultiDimensional eXpression. If you understand SQL languange and if you write e.g.: excel formulas or DAX (PowerPivot language), you won't have any problems with MDX comprehension.

i don't understand what do you mean with advantages and disadvantages? it's the same as if one asks you for advantages and disadvantages of T-SQL. or English. :)
Go to Top of Page

jezemine
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2886 Posts

Posted - 2010-09-05 : 16:13:59
>>advantages and disadvantages of T-SQL. or English.

I prefer English, it is more expressive. also no cuss words in t-sql.

elsasoft.org
Go to Top of Page

Beginer
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2010-09-06 : 02:12:03
quote:
Originally posted by slimt_slimt

MDX is Query language for olap and it is MultiDimensional eXpression. If you understand SQL languange and if you write e.g.: excel formulas or DAX (PowerPivot language), you won't have any problems with MDX comprehension.

i don't understand what do you mean with advantages and disadvantages? it's the same as if one asks you for advantages and disadvantages of T-SQL. or English. :)

As advantages I mean to say what are the feature that I can get from MDX which I will not get from other services
By disadvantages I mean to say what are the problems I will face when I'm using MDX. Please reply me back
Go to Top of Page

Beginer
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2010-09-06 : 09:54:32
quote:
Originally posted by jezemine

>>advantages and disadvantages of T-SQL. or English.

I prefer English, it is more expressive. also no cuss words in t-sql.

elsasoft.org

Thank you.But I don't have any idea about t-sql.Can you please write the advantages & disadvantages here?
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-09-06 : 12:39:35
"also no cuss words in t-sql"

CURSOR?
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -