Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 SQL & hardware

Author  Topic 

mike123
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1462 Posts

Posted - 2002-04-17 : 01:32:38

Ok hopefully this is considered SQL related because I could really use the help I have got to make a decision here in the next couple hours over something I have no previous experience with. Should I get a SCSI drive for my database server or not. I am running an AMD 1000ghz with 1 gig RAM. To mix things up for the next couple months I will have to run the webserver as well as the database server on this box, but eventually it will be just a database server. It currently has an IDE drive but before I set everything up I was planning on upgrading to SCSI 68pin Ultra Wide. Can anybody give me some feedback on their experience and whether bang for the buck it is worth it?. It is going to cost me 600 for the drive and the controller card so I am a bit worried since this is what I pay for 1 months hosting and I do not have the cash.

Thanks alot guys,

Mike

byrmol
Shed Building SQL Farmer

1591 Posts

Posted - 2002-04-17 : 02:13:18
Mike,

You are asking a question relating to capacity planning..

Will you have many users perfoming many DB functions?

Can you give us an estimate of database size and number of users?

DavidM

Tomorrow is the same day as Today was the day before.
Go to Top of Page

mike123

1462 Posts

Posted - 2002-04-17 : 02:18:52

I am just running 2 databases.

The main database is currently 150mb. My main website gets about 500,000+ page views per day and the whole site is basically database driven, I think this qualifies as many users performing many queries?

1 is a low traffic website that runs simple queries and only gets a couple thousand page views per day.

Thank you !

MIke

Go to Top of Page

byrmol
Shed Building SQL Farmer

1591 Posts

Posted - 2002-04-17 : 02:24:22
Mike,

I think you would benefit from using SCSI.

It will give you more scalability.

Why not run a stress test on the IDE drive first to see how it stacks up? If the response times are OK, you have a purely financial decision. (Which are pretty easy.. CHEAP! CHEAP!)

DavidM

Go to Top of Page

mike123

1462 Posts

Posted - 2002-04-17 : 02:39:39

what tool should I use to run a stress test?

What should I look for?

Thank you again

Go to Top of Page

byrmol
Shed Building SQL Farmer

1591 Posts

Posted - 2002-04-17 : 02:50:04
I know that Microsoft provide a stress test for web apps.. have a look at the MS site.

or a really dodgy way would be to open about 5 windows in Query Analsyer.
Run Profiler - Look for your IO measures

Write some TSQL statements - Insert, Update, Select etc.... slightly changing each batch between windows (The order and search conditions)

Place a WAITFOR (Look it up in BOL) setting in each window above the TSQL Batches.

Run em all and watch your profiler...

HTH

DavidM

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -