Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Constructing a column based on other columns

Author  Topic 

monotony
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2010-09-17 : 16:28:43
Hello all,

I'm trying to figure out how to make a column value based on other columns in the same table. I have a member table with the fields: memTitle, memTitleShow, memFName, memFNameShow, memLName, memCredentials, memCredentialsShow.

The display is: [memTitle][memFName][memLName][, memCredentials]

The columns suffixed by "Show" are bit fields. I would like the computed column to calculate the display based on the bit fields, so if memTitleShow is on, it would pull in the memTitle from the table, if ti is off, memTitle will return as blank. The only column that will show up no matter what is the memLName field. Everythign else can be turned off and off based on those bits.

Can anyone help me create a formula for the Display column that will accomplish this task?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Jeff

webfred
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

8781 Posts

Posted - 2010-09-18 : 06:00:44
select
case when memTitleShow=1 then memTitle else '' end as memTitle,
case when memFnameShow=1 then memFname else '' end as memFname,
memLName,
from ...

No, you're never too old to Yak'n'Roll if you're too young to die.
Go to Top of Page

monotony
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2010-09-20 : 16:03:45
Thank you for the reply webfred. It is not exactly what I was looking for but it is a start.

I understand how to write the select statement for this issue (I've written it about 25 times in various places on the site), what I'm trying to figure out is how to turn it into a computed column in the DB so I don't have to keep writing these super queries, just to display the name info. I don't understand how to turn it into a UDF or something and then make it the default value in a separate column called "memDisplayName" or something like that...

I know this is possible, I just don't know the details... can you show me how to do this?

Thanks!

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2010-09-20 : 16:09:31
ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN?????

Do you know what books online is?

Brett

8-)

Hint: Want your questions answered fast? Follow the direction in this link
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/brettk/archive/2005/05/25/5276.aspx

Go to Top of Page

monotony
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2010-09-20 : 16:23:32
X002548, did you even read my post? I know how to alter a table to add a freaking column.

What I do not know is how to make that column's value be a UDF that returns a string that is constructed from the data based on other data in that record.

Do you?

Thanks,
Jeff
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2010-09-20 : 16:29:07
Take webfred's CASE expressions and add them as computed columns, you don't need to make them UDF's.
Go to Top of Page

monotony
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2010-09-20 : 16:35:05
Rob,

I needed to construct a single column out of the several case statements, would that have worked?

I figured it out using the UDF that I wrote. If anyone is looking to do something similar and needs the syntax (since I couldn't find it anywhere) it goes like this in the formula column:

([dbo].[myUDFName]([myColumnArg]))

Thanks all,
Jeff
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2010-09-20 : 16:58:25
Yes, you'd simply concatenate each CASE (example):

ALTER TABLE myTable ADD NewColumn AS CASE WHEN A=1 THEN ColA ELSE '' END +
CASE WHEN B=1 THEN ColB ELSE '' END +
CASE WHEN C=1 THEN ColC ELSE '' END