Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Cannot connect to database using SQL Server Authen

Author  Topic 

smay84
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2010-09-30 : 04:12:24
Hi

I've had an SQL Server 2008 instance running for sometime using Windows Authentication. I'm now trying ot install a web app that requires SQL Server Authentication with a connection using TCP/IP protocol.

I have gone to SQL Configuration Manager and enabled TCP/IP but i keep getting the error:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: -1)

I've tried testing the connection with SQL Management Studio.

The link the error message gives me suggests making sure tcp/ip is enabled. I've checked and it is. However the link suggest using the SQL Server Surface Area tool which only gives me options for the 2005 instance i have running. Not the 2008 instance.

This is all happening on a local machine.

Any ideas?

smay84
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2010-09-30 : 04:19:32
Nevermind figured it out. Had to enable SQL Server Browser
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -