Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Data Corruption Issues
 SQL/TFS data corruption?

Author  Topic 

hshaw
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-05 : 18:35:42
Hi,

We are running TFS in a virtual environment in a single server deployment. It has been working fine but all of a sudden a couple of our users are receiving the following error when attempting a merge:

“Error TF30041: Team Foundation Server could not connect to the database. Contact your Team Foundation Server administrator”.

The error in the event viewer states that it is an SQL problem:

“Event ID 605, attempt to fetch logical page .. in database 2 failed. It belongs to allocation unit .. not to ..”

If they attempt the merge on a sub directory it works fine.

I have run DBCC checkdb and it does not report any errors.

The SQL logs has the following errors:

"Error: 605, Severity 21, State 3"

Can someone help me please? We are running Server 2008 SP1 and SQL Server standard 2008 SP1

Thanks,
Daniel

hshaw
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-05 : 21:09:43
I think I have narrowed it down to a tempdb issue. Is there a way for me to increase the size of the tempdb to test out a theory?
Go to Top of Page

tosscrosby
Aged Yak Warrior

676 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-07 : 16:59:52
If you have disk space, right click on tempdb, properties and increase the size, either log or data, whichever is appropriate. Or use alter database (look in BOL). Something like:

USE master;
GO
ALTER DATABASE tempdb
MODIFY FILE
(NAME = tempdbdata,
SIZE = 100MB);
GO

Is tempdb set not to autogrow? I always size tempdb to where I believe it should be and try to proactively monitor it and increase the size as neccessary. But I do still have the autogrow enabled. (I also have ample free disk space)

Terry

-- You can't be late until you show up.
Go to Top of Page

GilaMonster
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4507 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-08 : 04:24:33
What's the exact version of SQL that you're running? (SELECT @@version)

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

GilaMonster
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4507 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-09 : 14:02:13
I suspect you've run into this bug http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960770

It's fixed in CU3, which I think is included in SP1 (check that), but you need to enable a traceflag for the problem to not reoccur. Double-check that this kb article matches your symptoms and, if it does check that you have the required build and enable the traceflag.

p.s. the bug is not related to the size of tempDB. Increasing the size of the DB won't fix the problem.

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -