Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Database Design and Application Architecture
 Convert big papaer from to db

Author  Topic 

davebatt
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-18 : 08:36:51
Hi,

I have been given a 10 page paper from to convert into a db with a web input. Previously on a similar project someove very simply made a seperate table for each page of the paper from, linked with a user id.

This obviously isnt great for reporting and was wondering whats the best method? Im comfortable normalising the data, but to be honest this looks like it could fit in one table with a couple of lookups and some additonal tables for repeatign entries.

Is this the best thing to do, and how would I know if I was getting near the maximum size for a table?

Id really welcome your thoughts/suggestions or the inevitable posts asking if Ive searched the forums.

Thanks Dave

davebatt
Starting Member

17 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-18 : 09:31:33
Having counted through it looks like my table would have about 40 varchar fields, and about 40 fields being a combination of boolean or tiny int fields that would join with a lookup. there would also be about three other tables for repeating data entries.

Im having a discussion in the office that this is the wrong approach and it should be split into each page having its own table, regardless of what the data represents. If I did it in the normalised approach would I run into difficulty with the amount of fields (around 80)? and would performance be an issue?
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -