Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2005)
 BETWEEN command not working

Author  Topic 

parrot
Posting Yak Master

132 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-28 : 16:32:33
When I try to execute an SQL command using sp_executesql I get an error message "Incorrect syntax near the keyword ' AND'". It is referring to the use of the BETWEEN command which I cannot get to work using DECLARE variables. All other variables work for me. Below is the sql string used for the sql command. @SearchNameparm is the variable that gives the error. If anyone can see why this BETWEEN command is not working, please reply. I cannot get it to work in SQL Management Studio either. The code is below:

strSQL "DECLARE @SearchNameparm varchar(20);DECLARE @Cemeterycode varchar(6);DECLARE @type varchar(1);
DECLARE @SQLString nvarchar(500); DECLARE @ParmDefinition nvarchar(500);
SET @SQLString = N'SELECT Block, Lot, Grave, LastName, FirstName,
MaidenName, Spouse, DeathYear, DeathDate, Age FROM Burial
WHERE CemeteryCode = @Cemeterycode AND (DeathYear > @type OR DeathDate > @type)AND DeathYear BETWEEN @SearchNameparm
ORDER BY DeathYear, Lastname, FirstName';
SET @ParmDefinition = N'@SearchNameparm nvarchar(20),
@Cemeterycode nvarchar(6), @type nvarchar(1)';SET @SearchNameparm = '1970' AND '1990';SET @Cemeterycode = '000001';SET @type = '0';
EXECUTE sp_executesql @SQLString, @ParmDefinition, @SearchNameparm, @Cemeterycode, @type

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-28 : 16:39:13
use two parameters for your hi and low values

AND DeathYear BETWEEN @LowYear AND @HighYear
Go to Top of Page

parrot
Posting Yak Master

132 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-28 : 18:52:18
Russell;
Thanks for your quick reply. Your suggestion worked. I don't think I ever would have found that answer in SQL Books Online. I appreciate your support.
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2010-10-28 : 23:05:15
Welcome. Glad to help
Go to Top of Page

kailiyu
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2010-11-01 : 03:44:46
unspammed