Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Renaming a Server

Author  Topic 

ToddS
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2010-11-18 : 14:51:34
I have two questions related to renaming a server.

First, I would like to know if renaming the SQL Server name is an acceptable practice. Of course, I could just reinstall SQL, which is what we have done in the past. When we replace servers due to end of leasing it would be nice if I could use the below process to clone the server and move instances as needed.

Second, if this process is acceptable did I miss any important steps below to rename internal configurations, security groups, etc. I happened to find some references to the old name (see below), but am afraid I missed others. I saw some old internet posts with few details that said this gets tricky with encryption keys, etc. I did not install SSRS on this instance, but do have instances with SSRS installed.

Steps:

I installed a named instance on SQL Server 2008 SP1. This is a virtual server (TESTVM\SQL01). I cloned the server, joined the new server to the AD domain. The new server name is PRODVM. I could not connect to the SQL instance in SSMS as expected.

Using SQLCMD I issued the commands:

sp_dropserver 'TESTVM\SQL01'
sp_addserver 'PRODVM\SQL01', 'local'

I can now connect to the named instance 'PRODVM\SQL01'.

I noticed the SQL Windows Group's SQLServerMSSQLUser$TESTVM$SQL01, SQLServerDTSUser$TESTVM$SQL01, etc still have the name of the original server that was cloned. Permissions seem to be working fine.

Thanks for any assistance

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2010-11-18 : 15:26:57
Have you read this link?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143799.aspx
How to: Rename a Computer that Hosts a Stand-Alone Instance of SQL Server

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

ToddS
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2010-11-18 : 16:22:04
Thanks for the link. Renaming a Report Server helps I had not seen that information.

Since my process is summarized in the documentation it sort of answers my question that it is acceptable.

I had hoped others who have done this might be able to point out any potential issues not addressed in the link. I guess no horror stories = good news
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -