Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Virtual Application and Virtual Database servers?

Author  Topic 

zeeshan13
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

347 Posts

Posted - 2010-11-19 : 13:00:35

Hi All,

Our client has two enviornments one is 'Test' and the other one is 'Production'. These test and production enviornments do not talk with each other but are using our pplication in a test enviornment, and in production enviornment. Each enviornment has one application server (for our application) and one database server (for database that is bieng used by our application).

My client is going through a server consolidation and virtualization project right now and they are evaluating whether or not these application and database servers are candidates for virtualization. My client need to immediately know if they can virtualize these servers (both Application server and database server) on which we running our application and database respectively. We have other client using application virtual servers but not database server. As a general question what are the pro and cons of using virtual database and virtual application servers? In general where do we recommend it and where we don't and why? Is there any reason why a database server should not be use in Virtual enviornment? My client immediately just trying to get an idea about feasibility.

Thank you all for your prompt help.

Zee

zeeshan13

347 Posts

Posted - 2010-11-19 : 13:39:02
Can someone help please.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2010-11-19 : 13:40:41
You bumped your post after only 39 minutes? Wow.

This topic has been discussed at length already. Please search the forums and do a google search.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

zeeshan13

347 Posts

Posted - 2010-11-19 : 14:07:54
The topics listed are very specific to a ceratin enviorment. I am looking for a more generic answer.
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2010-11-19 : 14:15:41
The most generic answer is "it depends". It's also not an "immediate" answer, there are a lot of factors to consider. Do your research, Google is not that hard to use.

If you need to tell your client something right away, tell them "no". The longer answer is "Virtualization is a complex environmental change that requires detailed examination throughout the entire business operation. It's not a quick fix or simple process".

If they don't find that acceptable, ask them if they consider brain or open-heart surgery the kind of thing that can be answered in 5 minutes by someone not well-versed in it.
Go to Top of Page

GilaMonster
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4507 Posts

Posted - 2010-11-19 : 15:08:41
Lots of non-specific information available.

http://www.google.com/search?q=pro+and+cons+of+virtualizing+SQL+Server

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

zeeshan13

347 Posts

Posted - 2010-11-19 : 17:29:10
Thank you all.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -