Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2005)
 Backup on remote machine

Author  Topic 

yadhu_cse
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

252 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-02 : 07:03:56
Hi,
i want to store backup on remote machine. i crated a new folder and shared with full permission.
when i execute

BACKUP DATABASE test1 TO DISK = '\\machine name\data\backup.bak' WITH NOFORMAT, NOINIT, NAME = N'SAMPLE-Full Database Backup', SKIP, NOREWIND, NOUNLOAD, STATS = 10

i am getting following error
BACKUP DATABASE test1 TO DISK = '\\machine name\data\backup.bak' WITH NOFORMAT, NOINIT, NAME = N'SAMPLE-Full Database Backup', SKIP, NOREWIND, NOUNLOAD, STATS = 10

webfred
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

8781 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-02 : 07:12:36
I guess that isn't the error message...

No, you're never too old to Yak'n'Roll if you're too young to die.
Go to Top of Page

yadhu_cse

252 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-02 : 07:45:19

sorry i am getting following error
Cannot open backup device '\\tiger\data\backup.bak'. Operating system error 5(Access is denied.)
Go to Top of Page

webfred
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

8781 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-02 : 07:48:56
found this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/207187/en-us

To enable backups to network drives, perform the following steps:
The SQL Server service must be started using a domain user account to access any resources on a remote computer. Verify that the MSSQLServer service is started under a domain account that has write access to both the Windows NT Server share and its underlying partition (if the partition is formatted with the Windows NT file system, or NTFS).
In Control Panel, double-click the Services icon.
Select the MSSQLServer service and then click Startup.
Examine the startup options for the service and verify that This Account is selected and that a valid domain account is supplied in the form Domain_Name\Domain_account (with the correct password).

NOTE: If you changed the service to run under a domain account, you must stop and restart the MSSQLServer service.
Verify that the account specified has write access on the Windows NT share to which you are backing up, as well as the underlying partition (if the partition is formatted as NTFS). To do this, perform the following steps:

Right-click the share name in Windows NT Explorer.
Click Sharing on the shortcut menu.
On the Security tab, click Permissions.

No, you're never too old to Yak'n'Roll if you're too young to die.
Go to Top of Page

yadhu_cse

252 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-02 : 07:53:05
I am nOt getting
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-02 : 08:51:35
Fred is telling you to make sure that the SQL Service account has permissions on the share -- which it doesn't according to your error message. The link he provided, as well as his explanation shows how to setup the permissions.
Go to Top of Page

yadhu_cse

252 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-02 : 23:40:24
k. HOw to set permission to services.
Go to Top of Page

yadhu_cse

252 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-03 : 00:40:29
Hi, Can u tel me the procedure to do it. service is running under local system account
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-03 : 03:10:47
In my experience you would be much better of performing the backup to a Local drive and then Moving (i.e. MOVE not COPY) the file to the network location sparately.

If you make a backup direct to a network share and anything goes wrong with the network you have NO backup. If you do it locally then,. at worst, you may have a queue of files waiting to be MOVED to the network share.

RoboCopy (part of Windows 2008 Server, available to download for earlier versions) will do the MOVE for you (it is tolerant of network outage and will keep retrying until it gets the job done.
Go to Top of Page

yadhu_cse

252 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-05 : 23:40:46
Hi,
I am using workgroup computer. how to performbackup on workgroup comp.that is storing on another computer
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -