SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2000)
 Reg: Import DTS packages
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

strived
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  12:05:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Iam trying to import DTS packages from a SQL Server 2000 32-bit in a Windows server 2003(source) to a SQl Server 2008 64-bit in Windows server 2008(destination) but I came to know that the 64-bit doesn't support DTS packages a whole lot. So in the destination server I had a 32-bit SQl server 2008 too so I tried to run the SQl Server management Studio from 32-bit SQl Server program files. Still I get the version of SQl Server 2008 as 64-bit when I query "select @@version". Am i looking at this the wrong way or my query just gives the version of OS in which my SQL Server is running?. If its not how could I switch back from 64-bit to 32-bit SQl Server?. Will destination SQl Server run the DTS packages in 32-bit even if I dont specify anything?. Thanks in advance.

nigelrivett
Flowing Fount of Yak Knowledge

United Kingdom
3383 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  12:26:43  Show Profile  Visit nigelrivett's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You need to run them using the 32 bit run time - which probably means specifying the full path to the 32 bit dtexec.
The select @version will just give the sql server that you are connected to - nothing to do with the version of management studio.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
SSIS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

strived
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  16:07:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iam actually planning to move the DTS packages into the destination server by copying it to MSDB system table sys.dtspackages. After this Iam planning to run these DTS packages so I will be installing "SQL server 2005 backward compatibility components" to use the "execute DTS 2000 package utility" to run the DTS packages. Will I be able to run DTS packages this way in 64-bit or should I be still using dtexec to run them in 32 bit at runtime?. And I have searched for dtexec utility in the program files but I cannot find them so thought of doing it this way. I have not installed this SQl Server so I dont know whether the dtexec 32-bit has been installed too by the person who did it. Thanks in advance
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000