Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2000)
 Reg: Import DTS packages

Author  Topic 

strived
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-08 : 12:05:17
Hi all,

Iam trying to import DTS packages from a SQL Server 2000 32-bit in a Windows server 2003(source) to a SQl Server 2008 64-bit in Windows server 2008(destination) but I came to know that the 64-bit doesn't support DTS packages a whole lot. So in the destination server I had a 32-bit SQl server 2008 too so I tried to run the SQl Server management Studio from 32-bit SQl Server program files. Still I get the version of SQl Server 2008 as 64-bit when I query "select @@version". Am i looking at this the wrong way or my query just gives the version of OS in which my SQL Server is running?. If its not how could I switch back from 64-bit to 32-bit SQl Server?. Will destination SQl Server run the DTS packages in 32-bit even if I dont specify anything?. Thanks in advance.

nigelrivett
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3385 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-08 : 12:26:43
You need to run them using the 32 bit run time - which probably means specifying the full path to the 32 bit dtexec.
The select @version will just give the sql server that you are connected to - nothing to do with the version of management studio.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
SSIS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

strived
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-08 : 16:07:10
Iam actually planning to move the DTS packages into the destination server by copying it to MSDB system table sys.dtspackages. After this Iam planning to run these DTS packages so I will be installing "SQL server 2005 backward compatibility components" to use the "execute DTS 2000 package utility" to run the DTS packages. Will I be able to run DTS packages this way in 64-bit or should I be still using dtexec to run them in 32 bit at runtime?. And I have searched for dtexec utility in the program files but I cannot find them so thought of doing it this way. I have not installed this SQl Server so I dont know whether the dtexec 32-bit has been installed too by the person who did it. Thanks in advance
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -