Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Encryption in SQL server 2005

Author  Topic 

gangadhara.ms
Aged Yak Warrior

549 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-14 : 02:29:49
Dear All,
We have a Enterprise edition SQL server 2005 with SP2.As We need to the encryption on the database can you please suggest how do we do ?

Is TDE is there with 2005 or any other method to encrypt database files or do we need to do column by column ?

Thanks,
Gangadhar

GilaMonster
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4507 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-14 : 02:51:30
What's the reasoning behind the encryption? What are you trying to protect against?

TDE and column encryption are for two different scenarios.

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

gangadhara.ms
Aged Yak Warrior

549 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-14 : 21:30:57
Hi Gail,
Thanks for the comment.Our Audit team has made all the critical application database needs to be encrypted.As our critical application connecting server database is in SQL server 2005 i need to do the encryption on whole database.

How do we do this pls help me.

Thanks in Advance
Gangadhar
Go to Top of Page

GilaMonster

4507 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-15 : 00:49:33
Again I will ask, what is this encryption intended to protect against?

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

gangadhara.ms
Aged Yak Warrior

549 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-15 : 03:16:33
If i want to tell really this encryption is for to get clear non compliance from Audit team :)

The Audit team wants to database to be encrypted in one or other way.I know with SQL server 2008 we have TDE,so we encrypt at database file level.
Similar way i need to do the encryption for SQL server 2005 to get clear from NOC from Audit team.

Basically this encryption is for security purpose to avoid unauthorized access to this critical data.

Thanks,
Gangadhara MS
SQL Developer and DBA
Go to Top of Page

GilaMonster

4507 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-15 : 03:46:35
Then please ask the audit team what they are trying to protect against when they ask for full database encryption.

TDE and column encryption are for two different potential data vulnerabilities and they are not interchangeable.

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

gangadhara.ms
Aged Yak Warrior

549 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-15 : 20:56:18
They are trying to protect the data for unauthorized person to access,hope you understand this term.
Can we apply TDE for 2005 ? What you are trying to say here ?

If TDE is not an option for SQL 2005 then field encryption only we left is there anything other than that ? If yes pls share with your details ?

Thanks,
Gangadhara MS
SQL Developer and DBA
Go to Top of Page

GilaMonster

4507 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-16 : 05:20:03
OK, I'll spell things out.

TDE protects against copying of data files and backups, not unauthorised people connecting to the instance and querying it.
Column level encryption protects against unauthorised people connecting to the instance and querying it, not against copying of data files and backups.

Hence why I said they are two different things and protect against two different vulnerabilities.

So, which one are you trying to protect against?

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

gangadhara.ms
Aged Yak Warrior

549 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-17 : 00:10:26
Thanks Gail for your valuable comments here.

I want to do the data files and backup files encryption it should' be restored by unauthorized person in SQL server 2005 EE. How to accomplish this in 2005 SQL server EE.

If this is not possible what are different options available for me to encrypt.
Thanks,
Gangadhar

Thanks,
Gangadhara MS
SQL Developer and DBA
Go to Top of Page

GilaMonster

4507 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-17 : 09:53:38
You can't do that in SQL 2005. That's TDE and requires SQL 2008 Enterprise edition.

You can do column level encryption, but that won't protect against unauthorised people taking backups and restoring them and done wrongly it will slow your database to an absolute crawl.

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

itsupport
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-20 : 05:04:03
Yes definitely TDE is different than column endryption & they both are different scenarios.

Regards,

<a href="http://www.it-support-service.com">Server Management Service</a> |
<a href="http://www.it-support-service.com">Application Management Service</a>
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -