Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Best choice to place mdf, ldf and tempd in a disk

Author  Topic 

juanps2
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2010-12-22 : 10:23:00
Hi,

I'm new into a dba administrator and I have to design a migration to the new server for a web application is running.

I have the following scenario:

volume 0 = raid 1 ( 2x72GB 15k) -> here I put the S.O.
volume 1 = raid 1 (2 x 300GB 15k)
volume 2 = raid 1 (2 x 300GB 15k)

Tempdb (5GB)
x.mdf (120GB)
x.ldf (20GB)

Is correct put the mdf on volume1 and tempdb+ldf on volume2?

where is the best way to get best performance for the applicaton. I know that there are other more implications but only with this information what is the best way.

Please help me?

Thanks!!

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-22 : 11:13:14
These are my "rule of thumb":

Operating system on its own drive

Data / MDF on a drive optimised for random access

Logs / LDF on a drive optimised for sequential access

TEMPDB on its own drive (preferably)

Backups on their own drive optimised for sequential access - consider how long you will hold the backups - e.g. a full backup once a week, kept for 4 weeks, and DIFF backup kept for 7 days, TLog backups kept for 4 days - that's a significant amount of disk space (although not many places store that much online, but IME getting backups back from Tape takes time, and it is better to have them available online). Note that Compressed Backups will help both with the time to create the backups, as well as the storage space they need.

Allow 1GB Memory per CPU for the O/S and allocate the rest to SQL Server

Then you need to think about log-shipping to a disaster recovery machine (or some other disaster recovery solution)
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -