Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 SQl Server 2005 Mgmt Studio maintenance plan Back

Author  Topic 

amcell
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2011-01-06 : 06:26:15
Hi I used to Set up overwrite scheduled backup to a single file on Server 2000. This worked fine and never appended or created new files. however in 2005 mgmt studio If I select Device(name.bak file in sql backup directory (new and existing- tried both) - and point to and append or overwrite it fails with untraceable error. If I use the lower backup (?with autonaming timestamp by default) it works but creates a new timestamped file each time thus building up directory which i need to avoid.

In a nutshell -SQl Server MGMT 2005 Manual backup works for top backup to device option. But scheduled maintenance plan does not for top backup to device option and lower backup option is creating multiple files if timestamp is different.

Anybody any ideas as to the error or how I get it to backup with top option without creating new files each time? I assume I have to get the top option to run without error. Error just says to look in History Log of Sql server agent (Which is automatic and running for lower option) Error log shows nothing.

Any pointers appreciated

Regards

Alan

Better to burn out than to fade away

- Advertisement -