Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Alter index issue

Author  Topic 

mfemenel
Professor Frink

1421 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-06 : 09:37:13
Nightly we have a table that does a partition switch from our staging table into our production table. We then call an alter index statement:

Alter index ALL ON tablename REBUILD WITH (Sort_in_tempdb = ON)

Now it's my understanding that Rebuild ALL should be doing a full sampling of data for stats on all indexes in the table. Randomly (on varying nights) the alter index statements don't do a full sample.

For example
Tuesday evening Table A is loaded with 1677473 rows and the rebuild samples 1677473 rows. Last night, same table is loaded with 1693811 rows but only 73466 rows are sampled. This then causes downstream processes to bog down because it sampled such a small percentage.

There is no consistency as to when this happens. The same job runs at the same time every night. We've seen this on varying days of the week, never in any pattern we can identify. Also, Auto update and auto create stats are enabled on the db.

Anyone have any thoughts on what would cause this behavior?

Mike
"oh, that monkey is going to pay"

GilaMonster
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4507 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-06 : 10:26:00
Are you looking at statistics on an index or column statistics?

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

mfemenel
Professor Frink

1421 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-06 : 10:46:47
on an index via dbcc showstatistics tablename, indexname

Mike
Go to Top of Page

mfemenel
Professor Frink

1421 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-06 : 10:47:30
and one more thing, these are clustered indexes where I'm seeing this issue.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

GilaMonster

4507 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-06 : 11:10:48
There wasn't an auto update (or sp_updatestats) afterwards perhaps? Rebuilds will update index stats with full scan

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

mfemenel
Professor Frink

1421 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-06 : 11:23:53
The tables are loaded and then no further data is added until the next evening when the process runs again. So there isn't anything else that would cause the auto stats to fire. And I agree that update index stats "should" do a full scan. Once or twice a week though that doesn't happen and there's no pattern I can find to it.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

GilaMonster

4507 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-07 : 03:06:28
Rebuild index does update stats with full scan, because it's already reading the entire index.

Not happening same time of week? No pattern?
Profiler trace? Make sure there's no UPDATE STATS or sp_updatestats run manually?

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -