Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 "Text" datatype strange problem

Author  Topic 

rajeshkumar77
Starting Member

46 Posts

Posted - 2002-05-02 : 04:17:49
Dear Friends

I need to insert a large amount of text in a database. I am using "text" datatype. However, i cannot able to insert more than 1,023 letters in database field.

please help me what is the prblm with my table.
my table
column name is "test"
datatype "text"
length "16" (by default)

do i need to do any changes to increase the size..

at present i tested with the followint text. i cannot able to insert more than the below text.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Thank you very much.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Yours
Rajesh

timmy
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1242 Posts

Posted - 2002-05-02 : 05:28:09
Rajesh,

The text data type is able to store something like 2gb of text. You can't change the length as far as I know. I'd suggest that it's a problem with your presentation layer.

Tim

Go to Top of Page

rajeshkumar77
Starting Member

46 Posts

Posted - 2002-05-02 : 05:35:36
Dear Tim,
Thank you for your reply.
Now i got the solution.
What i did is....
Instead of inserting from enterprise manager, I created a html from to commuinicate with jsp, and i inserted the data.
It is storing large amount of data.
Now i am inserting data using html textarea, instead of using enterprise manager.
Thank you for your reply.
Yours
Rajesh

did u tried at any time to insert large amout of data using entrepreise manager ?

Thanks

quote:

Rajesh,

The text data type is able to store something like 2gb of text. You can't change the length as far as I know. I'd suggest that it's a problem with your presentation layer.

Tim

Go to Top of Page

rajeshkumar77
Starting Member

46 Posts

Posted - 2002-05-02 : 05:38:09
Once again, thank you for your help.

Go to Top of Page

timmy
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1242 Posts

Posted - 2002-05-02 : 08:44:36
Rajesh,

Never tried inserting large text strings through EM - put I can imagine that it would be a nightmare.

Tim

Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2002-05-02 : 15:21:26
Yes, although you can type updates into it, Enterprise Manager is not designed for data entry of any sort, especially large text. You will also find that at some point (I don't remember the size) Enterprise manager will display varchar fields that have a lot of text in them as <long text> or something like that to indicate it can't display the entire contents. A different front-end is needed, as you have done with JSP.

Go to Top of Page

rajeshkumar77
Starting Member

46 Posts

Posted - 2002-05-02 : 21:44:32
Dear Tim & Mark,

Thank you very much for your kind coooperation. Now i learned the concept of inserting large data into database.

Thanks a lot.

Yours
Rajesh

quote:

Yes, although you can type updates into it, Enterprise Manager is not designed for data entry of any sort, especially large text. You will also find that at some point (I don't remember the size) Enterprise manager will display varchar fields that have a lot of text in them as <long text> or something like that to indicate it can't display the entire contents. A different front-end is needed, as you have done with JSP.

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -