Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 Database Info Auto Update

Author  Topic 

glennlawr
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-11 : 06:39:53
Hello,

I hope I am asking this in the correct place...

I have a website that is database driven and was looking to see how I could auto update info in my database. Basically I want to be able to auto update the prices of some of my items when there is a market change in the live spot price of gold and silver.

Can anyone tell me if they think this would be possible? I have looked at this from the website end of things but it doesn't seem to be possible. I was hoping it could then maybe be possible from the database end. I only know a little about SQL but was thinking maybe it would be possible by scheduling an sql script to run on a loop. Obviously then I would need to know how to get the required info into the script.

My database sits on a Server 2005 Express server that is hosted by my webhost provider. However I can connect to and edit the database through Server Management Studio.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

RickD
Slow But Sure Yak Herding Master

3608 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-11 : 06:55:49
Is there an API you are watching that will inform you of the price changes to gold or silver? If so, you could do this in c# or any language that will give you access to the API. Otherwise, unless you are sent the data or have another way of connecting to the data source, I can't see how you can get it either..
Go to Top of Page

glennlawr
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-11 : 07:37:27
No, I wasn't watching any API but may very well look at that option now! I was really looking to see if anyone could tell me any possible way of doing this.

I don't actually know c# at all, but you say there are apps that can receive info from an API and then update the database?

Thanks for your help Rick...
Go to Top of Page

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-11 : 07:56:54
What is usually done is to have some sort of scheduled script that reads an xml-feed from another web site that publish this kind of information. This one for example (gold prices in metric grams in various currencies): http://dgcsc.org/goldprices.xml

In order to schedule a server side (database) update with this information you will most likely need access to either Scheduled Tasks on the hosted server or SQL Server Agent.

- Lumbago

My blog (yes, I have a blog now! just not that much content yet)
-> www.thefirstsql.com
Go to Top of Page

glennlawr
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-11 : 11:03:01
That looks just like what I need Lumbago! Now I just need to look for a site that does silver and gold xml feeds. Then I suppose I just need to get a script that can take this info and put it into an sql script that is run on a schedule.

Thanks for the help...
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -