Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Virtual SQL Server 2000 file size problem

Author  Topic 

yonabout
Posting Yak Master

112 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-14 : 11:35:53
Hi,

I've got a problem where when our applications load blob data to the databases, there's a 4MB limit on the size of the file you can upload.

This has apparently been an intermittent problem since we virtualised our database server (about a year ago). We have another (physical) database server that any size of blob data can happily get loaded to.

We run our SQL server on a virtual server (VMware - not microsofts offering).

Not entirely sure that this is the right forum but I'm hoping some god (or goddess) like dba will have an answer - or an explanation - or something...

Cheers,

Yonabout

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-14 : 16:18:29
If the data is being stored in an image column in the database, a single column row has a limit of 2,147,483,647 bytes of data ( 2 GB ).

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

yonabout
Posting Yak Master

112 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-17 : 06:02:33
I wish we could get near that !

Our limit seems to be 4MB on the database server that's virtualised, and 2GB on the one that is on physical hardware.

It's not something that we can easily switch either, as all our production dbs are on the virtual server - the physical box has got one database on it that for bizarre contractual reasons has to be totally separate.

Do you reckon this is a SQL 2000 thing that could be fixed by moving to SQL 2008?

Does anybody else have their database servers virtualised?

Cheers,

Yonabout
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-17 : 11:12:58
How are you uploading the file? I'm going to take a guess that you're doing it through a web application. There is a setting in IIS as to the max file size that can be uploaded. It's in the Machine.config file.

As for virtualization, we have a bunch of SQL Servers virtualized, but not our busiest OLTP ones. Your problem doesn't have anything to do with virtualization I don't think. By the way, SQL 2000 on any virtual platform was not supported. I say was, becuase SQL 2000 isn't supported at all anymore.
Go to Top of Page

yonabout
Posting Yak Master

112 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-19 : 06:30:28
One of the problems is with Web Apps - We've got the problem with Sharepoint, and with a bunch of web apps we wrote ourselves.

We do get the problem with a 'real' application as well though that's a classic 3 tier model. Our production database server is virtualised - can't upload more than 4 MB, our test database sits on a physical box and running the app in test has no limit on thhe file size.

Cheers,

Yonabout
Go to Top of Page

yonabout
Posting Yak Master

112 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-19 : 06:36:04
Hi,

Forgot to ask, what's the bit in machine config that you need to change?

Cheers,

Yonabout
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-19 : 09:52:15
My bad, not Machine.Config (my bad memory). It's in the metabase.xml file.

See this:

http://www.banmanpro.com/support2/File_Upload_limits.asp
Go to Top of Page

yonabout
Posting Yak Master

112 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-19 : 10:41:21
Thanks.

Had a look at that and it hasn't made a difference.

I'm reasonably sure now that it's probably a combination of virtual server and SQL 2000 that don't play well together, as the test app that i mentioned before has no problems with uploading to a physical box.

We need to upgrade anyway, so I suppose we'll just have to live with it until we do.

Cheers,

Yonabout
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-19 : 10:52:43
I'm betting that it is an OS setting missed in the virtual environment. But yeah, upgrading to SQL 2008 would be real nice!
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -