Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Other Forums
 MS Access
 Can't enforce referential integrity on a linked ta

Author  Topic 

sukh
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-17 : 10:28:18
I have been asked to import some access tables to sql server 2005, which I have done successfully. However, the problem I have is the tables which I had exported had an enforced referential integrity on them.

Now I'm trying to re-create the relationship in access with linked tables, they are not working.

I have also tried to create the relationship on SQL Server 2005 (diagram) and then link them back to Access, this attempt did not work either.

Is there any other alterative suggestion, someone could make??

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-17 : 11:09:57
You can't enforce the SQL tables relationship to Access.

But you can import both the parent and child tables in the relationship, and create the foreign key in SQL Server.
Go to Top of Page

sukh
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-18 : 05:46:49
I have managed to create a referential integrity on sql server 2005 with diagrams. However when I link the tables into Access 2003, the integrity doesn't work. What I am trying to do is have an Access front end with relationships with linked tables, and a sql server 2005 back end.

I think I will have to develop an application.
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-18 : 07:54:22
Just create your foreign keys with T-SQL statements in SQL Server.

ODBC Linked tables tend to be very bad for performance by the way.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -