Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 SQL Running

Author  Topic 

kulfi
Starting Member

33 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-30 : 23:39:29
Hi,
I am trying to connect the sql databse but can any one tell me that is it neccassary that the sql server should be installed on the same computer where the file is kept.
thanks

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-31 : 05:21:35
Which file are you talking about? What are you trying to do?

- Lumbago

My blog-> www.thefirstsql.com
Go to Top of Page

kulfi
Starting Member

33 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-31 : 08:00:30
Actually i am new to Visual Studio 2010 and SQL Server Please if my question is not clear i will try to make more clear

i have one file which is located at \\10.0.0.155\V-schedule\CAD_Data_Base.mdf and i want attach this databse to my vb.net program i have two questions here.
1. Is it necassary that where ever the file reside sql server has to be installed there.
2. i am trying to attach the datbase file but i get a message that it is located at UNC Share how can i clear this message and attach the file.
thanks

Go to Top of Page

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-31 : 08:18:09
I'm still confused. If you want to get data from a sql server you don't connect to a *file* but to a *server*. So when you connect you basically only specify the server name/ip, username and password... But you are also saying that you are trying to attach the file; isn't this file/database attached to a server already?

- Lumbago

Go to Top of Page

kulfi
Starting Member

33 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-31 : 08:54:13
Hi, U mean that if i keep *.dbf file in the domain server , the SQL Server should be running or not as we know that for MS access we do not need access to be running on the same system where the file is kept.thanks
Go to Top of Page

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-01 : 09:32:42
SQL server is different than Access...with sql server the database in on the server, not the file. It's like getting a recipe from you mother ->

The Access way:
1. Go to her house (using the unc-path),
2. bring the cookbook home (copying the file)
3. read the recipe yourself

The SQL Server way:
1. Call her on the phone (using her ip address)
2. tell her that you are her son (give her your username/password)
3. ask her to tell you the recipe (write a select)
4. she will read it to you out loud (transfer the data)

- Lumbago
Go to Top of Page

kulfi
Starting Member

33 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-01 : 23:43:42
Very Good Practical Answer Thanks a lot
ok now i want a advice we have 6000 Employees in our company and i am preparing the database for them and than ofcourse i will use it for a Vb.net Program, i am learner of SQL Server and i want a way where i can learn also and similarly work with this project.
Thanks

Ehsan
Go to Top of Page

Sachin.Nand

2937 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-02 : 07:32:29
quote:
Originally posted by kulfi

Very Good Practical Answer Thanks a lot
ok now i want a advice we have 6000 Employees in our company and i am preparing the database for them and than ofcourse i will use it for a Vb.net Program, i am learner of SQL Server and i want a way where i can learn also and similarly work with this project.
Thanks

Ehsan

Wow...You are a learner of SQL Server and you have been assigned the task of designing a database for 6000 Employees.

I sincerely hope from my heart it is not a payroll system or something like that ...

PBUH

Go to Top of Page

kulfi
Starting Member

33 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-02 : 08:56:07
Thanks I have already finished the program and it is about the Vacation Schedule of the Employees, today it is running with all the queries. thanks for that comments, also forget to advice me.
thanks

Ehsan
Go to Top of Page

RickD
Slow But Sure Yak Herding Master

3608 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-03 : 05:07:54
quote:
Originally posted by kulfi

Thanks I have already finished the program and it is about the Vacation Schedule of the Employees, today it is running with all the queries. thanks for that comments, also forget to advice me.
thanks

Ehsan

Don't take things the wrong way, but from the questions you are asking about SQL Server, I seriously doubt that it is all working without a glitch. You came here asking for help and people have supplied that help.

From your original question, if you want my advice, I think you may need to at least read up on or take a beginners course in SQL Server.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -