Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Import/Export (DTS) and Replication (2000)
 What r all the things I need to consider 4 a move?

Author  Topic 

fparker
Starting Member

27 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-31 : 17:13:12
Situation:

Inherited a SQL Database, SSIS and SSRS package of stuff. It is all running on a dev server.

I need to move this to a production server but keep the dev environment for development. Go figure.

What all are the things I need to consider? I did some reading up on databases (I am not a DBA) so it looks like I can copy the db and get it to the production server. I do have a dba available to help with that part but I am more concerned about SSIS and SSRS. I won't have help with that one. I need to get the entire mess moved over without breaking it and without loosing the current dev environment.

Thoughts on where to start with that part? We are running SQL Server 2000 but the software installed for editing the SSIS and SSRS is SQL Server 2005 and 2008.

--
f

dataguru1971
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1464 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-31 : 17:19:42
You really should update the whole thing SQL 2008 for the prod server. SQL 2000 isn't even supported by MS anymore ( you can set the compatibility level to 80 and leave the 2000 DB as is).

The SSIS packages, if built properly can be easily modified to point to a new server. If they don't use variables or config files for the connections, you may have to dig into each one of them and do some work.

There are other things to consider..you really need to hire someone who knows SQL and has done these kinds of things before.

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
Go to Top of Page

fparker
Starting Member

27 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-01 : 10:23:42
quote:
Originally posted by dataguru1971

There are other things to consider..you really need to hire someone who knows SQL and has done these kinds of things before.

Haha! I am it! The guy supporting this quit and the project was tossed to me. I know about SQL and have been a programmer but this is a little outside of my area of knowledge. Not asking for a hand out, just a hand. I don't know enough to know what to ask so the question is just what components are there to consider, not a how to guide, I can find that if I know what to look for.

The servers are in the process of being moved up to 2008 but I don't control that. My little part of the world includes just this project on a dev server and it needs to be moved to a prod server.

What should be done and what can be done don't cross paths here.

I pretty much have to play the hand I have been dealt. Thanks for the 411 though.

--
f
Go to Top of Page

dataguru1971
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1464 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-01 : 17:24:54
I am sure we have all been there.

once the structure is moved over to the new server you can copy the SSIS packages to the new server. I am assuming based on what you wrote, they are stored in the file system somewhere. Copy them off into another directory and modify them there for the new sources/destination, or create a new project and import them from the dev location.

Hopefully it isn't too many packages!

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
Go to Top of Page

fparker
Starting Member

27 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-08 : 17:57:52
thanks. Yes, they are in a folder on the file system. time to close my eyes and push the button.

--
f
Go to Top of Page

jeffw8713
Aged Yak Warrior

819 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-08 : 21:46:43
For your SSIS packages:

Create a new project in BIDS and import all of these packages into that project. If you create your new project in a different location, when you import those packages they will be copied into that new directory.

Once you have the packages in BIDS, you can then change the connection information to point to the production system, test them and deploy them to your production environment.

For your SSRS reports, it is basically the same process - however, you can get the RDL files by accessing the report server, change the view to show the details and select the properties of the report. From there, you can edit the report defintion which really just creates a file. You then import this file into your BIDS project and edit as needed.

There is a utility available to copy reports/data sources/etc... from report server to report server. Here is the link to that utility: http://www.sqldbatips.com/showarticle.asp?ID=62

I do recommend that you copy these out to your own projects (on a shared drive, preferably) so you can modify them later.

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -