Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Other Forums
 ClearTrace Support Forum
 Trace File Read Error

Author  Topic 

PerfWise
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-02 : 23:38:23
Having just installed this impressive tool (v.37), which we are very eager to use, we are having some startup difficulty. This is the error we get:

Trace File Read Error in C:\Temp\ElectronicReadings201102031155_1.trc (Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.)

I saw this in the earlier forum posts, but those suggested remedies do not seem to help (although honestly we did not understand how to implement suggestions like removing the LoginName and the Hostname. If these are the issue I guess we will need a little more specific direction on how to eliminate them.) We have experienced the above on two systems, with separately collected traces. We are running SQL2005 in this case. We can send a file in, as it is not too large (5MB.) Thoughts?

PerfWise

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-02 : 23:41:56
I've moved your topic to the ClearTrace support forum as that appears to be the tool your post is about.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-03 : 08:51:57
You can email me the file. My email address is "graz" at this domain name. I'll take a look. In the directory where ClearTrace.EXE is you'll find an error log. Can you send that also?

=================================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today. One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

rbdba
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2011-04-06 : 09:05:10
I have been using ClearTrace successfully on a number of installations for over a year, but now for the first time encountered a site where trace file import fails with: Trace File Read Error in D:\TraceFiles\SPS1Trace20110406090234.trc (Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.)
The server is Win 2003 R2 Enterprise SP2, SQL is 9.0.4035, ClearTrace version 2008.38. I have also tried previous versions of cleartrace on the same server, and 2008.35 has a different error: Error intializing the SMO trace reader object for D:\TraceFiles\SPS2Trace20110405084554.trc (Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.)
In both cases I can find no error log file, it appears the app fails before creating the error file.
The server is one node in a cluster, I have tried running ClearTrace.exe from another node, tried using a database target on a different instance in the cluster, tried using a different profiler trace file, but all with the same error.
ClearTrace is such a brilliant tool I am desparate to get it working on this system!
Any help much appreciated

Richard
Go to Top of Page

graz

4149 Posts

Posted - 2011-04-06 : 09:33:42
If the error is that it can't I initialize th smo reader that's a problem inside smo.

Are the client tools installed on this box?

Go to Top of Page

graz

4149 Posts

Posted - 2011-04-06 : 09:34:19
And please upgrade to build 38

Go to Top of Page

rbdba
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2011-04-06 : 10:43:22
Thanks for quick response Graz
Client tools are not installed on the box, do they have to be installed to enable SMO?
And yes I did try build 2008.38 first. The error from that was not very informative, that's why I also tried build 2008.35
Go to Top of Page

rbdba
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2011-04-06 : 10:53:20
Answer to my own question - yes I do need SMO installed, which comes with client tools setup. SMO has to be installed on the box running ClearTrace.exe
Go to Top of Page

graz

4149 Posts

Posted - 2011-04-06 : 11:17:31
You do need SMO installed. The last time I checked, SMO by itself didn't install the trace reader files. That needed the full client tools. I'd like to get a better error for this but haven't figured out an easy way yet.

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -