Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Data Corruption Issues
 Reporting Services TempDb corrupted

Author  Topic 

Faulder
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-04 : 15:04:49
posting here as nearest match.
using very simple one machine local arrangement with sql express 2008 R2 database and reporting service to produce reports.

Reporting services just stopped!:- in sql management reporting services tempDB has yellow triangle and marked (suspect).

I could not find help on forums or MS regarding this.

I am as required user so i regret a messy uninstall left me with "ghost" instance with the name I need to use so as not to reconfigure rockwell transaction manager.

On trying to unistall only thing able to unistall were shared no use.

I thought if I repaired it may join up and unistal the instance so tried to repair but the downloaded exe is not recognised as valid media.

Found reference to 7Z on a web site got this (free and works) this unpacked the downloaded file and it enabled repair unistal and re-instal with same instance name.

Unfortunately for any one else suffering you will need to use IIS to get rid of virtual directories other posts will be more knowledgeable but I did as suggested. Also changed access and renamed the database and reprtingservicedb and reportingseviestempdb mdf and ldf files, prior to reintstall, to enable recreation of the self corrupted db.

I only use a single simple databases and use Vb to access reporting services from web url on local machine to produce reports from data stored by transaction manager. Original fail was caused by reportserver.

I have evetually been able to restore backed up database and have now also backed up reporting services and reporting services temp db so if it happens again should be able to restore.

For other "outside users" I would strongly recommend backing up not just what you do but the databases created by and used by reporting services.

I have had experience of reporting services self harming - protect yourself.

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-04 : 15:15:09
1. Always make sure you have good backups. Taking backups isn't enough -- you don't know if they are good unless you periodically restore them. We run restores to a seperate server every night.

2. uninstalling was your first mistake. It might have been fixable before that.

Here's a blog article on the subject: http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/archive/2010/09/04/ssrs-do-you-back-up-reportservertempdb.aspx

Also, should see here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms155814.aspx
Go to Top of Page

Faulder
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-04 : 15:21:54
Thanks Russell

it sounds like it even happens to experts and is not my incopeteence in the first place , hold my hands up to the uninstall, but wouldn't you agree the unistalling reporting services should clean up in default web site as a minimum.
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-04 : 15:24:03
Actually, I always worry that ANY uninstall litters the host with left behind remnants (binary files, registry keys, DLLs...) but yes, ought to wipe the default site clean
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -