Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 maintenance plan won't execute!

Author  Topic 

Glen_S
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-15 : 16:02:16
We just set up a new SQL2008 server, I backed up all user databases individually, which went ok. The I create maintenance plans to backup user databases and another to backup tlogs, and both fail when I try to execute for testing. The only error report I can find says that it failed for user x on step 1, which does not help me at all. I tried setting the job up as sa and using OS credentials, no difference.

I mostly work with Oracle, but past versions of MSSQL was as simple as setting up a maintenance plan and that was the end of it.

What am I missing here?

thanks!

jeffw8713
Aged Yak Warrior

819 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-15 : 16:36:49
You need to view the maintenance plan history - not the job history. To view the maintenance plan history, right-click on the maintenance plan folder in Object Explorer and select View History.

Just a guess here, but normally I see these kinds of issues when the client tools that are used to create the maintenance plan are on a lower version than the server. To validate the server, open a query window and issue the following: SELECT @@VERSION

To validate the client, select Help | About. You want to see that the version for your client tools are greater than (or equal to) the version on your server.

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

Glen_S
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-15 : 17:50:41
Nothing there - so I run it again from the server and get:

TITLE: Execute Maintenance Plan
------------------------------

Execution failed. See the maintenance plan and SQL Server Agent job history logs for details.

------------------------------
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Job 'MaintenancePlan.Subplan_1' failed. (SqlManagerUI)

Then, digging a bit further I get this when I export the log from job history:

=====================================================================

Date,Source,Severity,Step ID,Server,Job Name,Step Name,Notifications,Message,Duration,Sql Severity,Sql Message ID,Operator Emailed,Operator Net sent,Operator Paged,Retries Attempted
02/15/2011 15:40:34,MaintenancePlan.Subplan_1,Error,0,WINMS-SQLMGT,MaintenancePlan.Subplan_1,(Job outcome),,The job failed. The Job was invoked by User sa. The last step to run was step 1 (Subplan_1).,00:00:00,0,0,,,,0
02/15/2011 15:40:34,MaintenancePlan.Subplan_1,Error,1,WINMS-SQLMGT,MaintenancePlan.Subplan_1,Subplan_1,,Executed as user: PD_MILLSITE\sacc030. Microsoft (R) SQL Server Execute Package Utility Version 10.0.1600.22 for 64-bit Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1984-2005. All rights reserved. The SQL Server Execute Package Utility requires Integration Services to be installed by one of these editions of SQL Server 2008: Standard<c/> Enterprise<c/> Developer<c/> or Evaluation. To install Integration Services<c/> run SQL Server Setup and select Integration Services. The package execution failed. The step failed.,00:00:00,0,0,,,,0
02/15/2011 13:53:33,MaintenancePlan.Subplan_1,Error,0,WINMS-SQLMGT,MaintenancePlan.Subplan_1,(Job outcome),,The job failed. The Job was invoked by User sa. The last step to run was step 1 (Subplan_1).,00:00:00,0,0,,,,0
02/15/2011 13:53:33,MaintenancePlan.Subplan_1,Error,1,WINMS-SQLMGT,MaintenancePlan.Subplan_1,Subplan_1,,Executed as user: PD_MILLSITE\sacc030. Microsoft (R) SQL Server Execute Package Utility Version 10.0.1600.22 for 64-bit Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1984-2005. All rights reserved. The SQL Server Execute Package Utility requires Integration Services to be installed by one of these editions of SQL Server 2008: Standard<c/> Enterprise<c/> Developer<c/> or Evaluation. To install Integration Services<c/> run SQL Server Setup and select Integration Services. The package execution failed. The step failed.,00:00:00,0,0,,,,0

Go to Top of Page

jeffw8713
Aged Yak Warrior

819 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-16 : 16:32:08
Not sure what you mean by nothing is there - you mean there is no history for the maintenance plan?

Well, that would make sense since you are using SQL Server 2008 RTM which requires Integration Services to be installed on the server before you can run maintenance plans. Upgrade to the latest service pack - which should not have that requirement, or install Integration Services.

quote:
Microsoft (R) SQL Server Execute Package Utility Version 10.0.1600.22 for 64-bit Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1984-2005. All rights reserved. The SQL Server Execute Package Utility requires Integration Services to be installed by one of these editions of SQL Server 2008: Standard<c/> Enterprise<c/> Developer<c/> or Evaluation. To install Integration Services<c/> run SQL Server Setup and select Integration Services. The package execution failed.

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -