Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Question about Backups

Author  Topic 

jpotucek
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

273 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-28 : 09:45:45

I have a question about backups - TO Tape vs TO DISK for SQL Server 2005

The entire environment for our website is at a hosting company and we recently migrated from on hosting company to another.

We have one SQL Server Instance with about 20 databases running on an active\passive cluster.

I have always done TO DISK backups of my SQL Server Databases and then it was the hosting companies responsibility to get my backup directory TO TAPE.

What is happening is - I am doing my TO DISK backups (Full and TLOG backups) but the hosting company took it upon themselves to run a nightly FULL backup of the database with a NETBACKUP agent.

What I'm wondering is .. is it a good idea to leave this mix of TO DISK and TO TAPE backups in place? Will this mess up my ability to do a point in time restore using TLOG backups?

o My options are to leave things the way they are..
o Have the hosting company stop the NETBACKUP agent backups....
o Stop doing my TO DISK backups and let the hosting company do the
full and TLOG backups using NETBACKUP....

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-28 : 10:12:27
Continue with your full and log backups to disk. It's highly unlikely Netbackup will be able to restore to a point in time, and that means to the nearest second. Don't believe the software's marketing or your host...if they can't physically demonstrate that capability, then you can't rely on Netbackup for your needs.

As far as stopping the host's backups, that's up to you, but it doesn't make sense for them to backup the database with Netbackup. Ask them instead to go back to the old backup strategy.
Go to Top of Page

Yeoh Ray Mond
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-28 : 12:11:35
>> Will this mess up my ability to do a point in time restore using TLOG backups?

No. A full backup does not break the trx log chain in any way. It will only affect differential backups, as they will be based off the last full backup.

Ray Mond

RESTORE VERIFYONLY - don't bet your job on it! Learn why here.
Go to Top of Page

jpotucek
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

273 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-28 : 13:12:20
Thank you everyone.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -