Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Transaction Logs

Author  Topic 

SunnyDee
Yak Posting Veteran

79 Posts

Posted - 2011-03-13 : 16:15:22
Hello All:

I understand that reading the transaction log files in SQL Server 2005 and previous requires a 3rd party tool and that the DBCC LOGINFO function is undocumented and not supported.

Can someone please comment on any new log types or transaction logging in SQL Server 2008?

The reason for this request is determine all transactions both through the app and directly in SQL Mgmt Studio. Unfortunately- the application was poorly developed with no security model, and users manipulated the data directly in SQL Server (yes.. I am aware that this a very bad practice and dangerous). I am merely trying to determine if there is any way to report on the CRUD transactions.

Thanks!

GilaMonster
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4507 Posts

Posted - 2011-03-13 : 18:05:10
If you're trying to track insert/update/delete, the best way is through triggers. If you need select as well, you'll need a server-side trace.

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

Yeoh Ray Mond
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 2011-03-14 : 02:47:07
If you're using SQL Server 2008, you can also consider the Change Data Capture feature. See here for details.

However, it does not capture details of the user making the changes and when, by default. There is this post, however, by someone altering the data capture tables to store those details.

Ray Mond

RESTORE VERIFYONLY - don't bet your job on it! Learn why here.
TLogInfo - the only FREE tool to analyse your transaction logs. Download here..
SQLBakReader - the only FREE tool to inspect your SQL Server backup files without using SQL Server. Download here..
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -